Marlin model 39a

kst8fan

I was thinking of buying a lever .22 rifle and was wondering the difference between the Marlin golden 39a Mountie and the Marlin golden 39M? They seem to be almost the same rifle.

Keg

I have one of each....same gun..other than the lever....

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1795666_687095874667493_854654700_n.jpg
    1795666_687095874667493_854654700_n.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

eastbank

my 39 mounte does not have a pistol grip, the barrel is shorter and seems a little heaver along with a different shaped lever. eastbank.

Keg

Mountie is worth more...usually at least $200 more.

my 39 mounte does not have a pistol grip, the barrel is shorter and seems a little heaver along with a different shaped lever. eastbank.

I don't understand the problem here....I posted pics of both.... They are the same.... The lever is different because they changed the shape of the lever on all models....

eastbank

ah i see now, the 39a mountie and the 39m mountie. just lever shape. my misread as i thought he wanted to know the difference between a 39A rifle and a 39m mountie. eastbank.

Keg

ah i see now, the 39a mountie and the 39m mountie. just lever shape. my misread as i thought he wanted to know the difference between a 39A rifle and a 39m mountie. eastbank.

Yes....actually 39A Mountie is the same as a 39M.....(I'm sure M stands for Mountie)....As far as the levers at some point..they were changed on all straight stock Marlin guns(336..39..etc....)..sometime in the 70's....

az_imuth

The Mountie and the 39M are indeed the same rifle, just different roll stamps. There were slight changes to all of the models over the years. For the 39A it was grip caps, white line spacers, checkered stocks, etc., but it was still a 39A. Same with the Mountie...sling swivels, fluted stocks, square lever, etc., but still a Mountie. The Mountie will usually bring a substantial premium over the 39A, and older models tend to bring a premium, but all of the 20" Mounties bring about the same on average.

Drm50

Marlin 39s
My first rifle was 1897 Marlin carbine, 5th birthday present, the old man paid
$8 hard earned 1955 dollars for it, used of course. My kids were always wanting to shot it. Worried about gun getting "beat up", I brought this 39M
in the late 70s, new. Kids had a ball with it and never got beat, gun still
looks new.
ef27e5b7c36c97666463356261c1dfbb.jpg
17b69c9a1f5fce0d0c1755eccc258e53.jpg

geetarman

Do you folks with the older 39s have a problem with the takedown screw continually working loose? I have one that I bought about 10 years ago and if you really bear down on that screw, the action binds up and if you don't tighten to that point, it works loose.

I find my self shooting a couple of tubes of ammo and checking that screw for looseness.

oldscot3

Not mine. The darn thing fits together so tight I can hardly get it apart with the screw completely loose. I will say though, over the last 30 years, it's probably only been taken down maybe a half dozen times.

Keg

Do you folks with the older 39s have a problem with the takedown screw continually working loose? I have one that I bought about 10 years ago and if you really bear down on that screw, the action binds up and if you don't tighten to that point, it works loose.

I find my self shooting a couple of tubes of ammo and checking that screw for looseness.

I would'nt like that.... No problems here....

Brotherbadger

I don't have that problem. My 39a is over 30 years old.

kilimanjaro

My 39 was $67.50 in 1968. Since then, 20,000 rounds minimum through it. No problems with loose or shifting screws and parts. I suspect your threading is worn or chipped.

2ndsojourn

"Do you folks with the older 39s have a problem with the takedown screw continually working loose?"

Mine's over 30 years old and no problem with the screw. Plus it's real tight to get apart & back together.

Drm50

M-39
I have seen this problem in 39s. It comes from using rifle with out having
take down screw tight enough. The act of levering gun puts tork on screw
in spite of reciever undercut. Once screw is walloed it will never stay tight.