Marlin lever action sights

Miller77

i just got a Marlin 45-70 1895G and im debateing what kind of sights to put on it. Im planning on either a low power scope or iron sights. Im leaning towards the iron sights for a number of reasons: cheaper, can take more abuse, and i could get on/follow a target better. Im not really looking for recommended scope brands but more on scope vs. iron sights. As far as iron sights go what are some good brands? Ive heard things about lyman and skinner sights but i dont really know anything about them. Also how easy and how would i go about removing the factory sights on my rifle?

thanks

jmr40

There is nothing wrong with either but with practice you will find you can get on target faster and be much more accurate with a low powered scope. I prefer a conventionally mounted scope but a lot of folks swear by the scout scope set ups.

The scope will add weight and may mess up the balance of the rifle for you so that is a decision you will have to make. A GOOD set of iron sights will probably be more rugged, but a quality scope will take more abuse than many people realize.

zoomie

The factory sight is just drifted out with a hammer and wood/brass punch. Depending on which sights you get, you also might be able to fold down the factory sight and call it good.

I disagree with the scope being faster - ghost sights are the fastest out there for most people.

I've got Skinners on my Marlin 60, and I'd use him too on any other Marlin. Depending on what range you plan to shoot, the XS sights also get great reviews, but their rear aperture is larger, so they're inherently less accurate at range than a smaller rear aperture peep sight. One great thing about the Skinners is that the rear aperture is removable, so you can screw it in for longer range shooting, or take it out for a close range, quick ghost ring set-up.

I'm trying to figure out how to put one of these on my guide gun...

attachment.php

they are Williams Fire Sights & that is the rear ghost ring

I've sucessfully fit one to my 10" Contender, that I set up for deer hunting I really like it, I'm looking forward to getting one on my guide gun...

attachment.php

Attachments

• guns 251.jpg
    guns 251.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 4,524

L_Killkenny

So much wrong, so little time.....LOL

Scopes are faster, the reasons are many. Scopes can take more abuse than everyone thinks. I've trashed MULTIPLE sets of open sights on my hunting guns, never trashed a scope. Not even once. Including the el'cheapo I have mounted on a slug gun. Which has been dropped and banged on ice more than once as I fell on my butt.

All that being said, I'm gonna throw in another option for ya. You might try one of the scout scope mounts from XS and mount a red-dot or Halo sight just in front of the receiver. Lever actions handle nice but that "seems" to go away when you put a scope right on top. A scout mounted red-dot should "help" restore the nice handling.

Now you asked about open sights. Williams, XS and skinner all make nice peep/receiver sights. I like Williams myself, have no experience with the skinner sights and think the XS sights are ugly and don't allow for precision shooting. They are a ghost sight not a peep, combat style IMO. Stay away from the cheap "One Hole Sights". They have a peep on the barrel which almost completely negates the advantages of a peep sight.

pilothunter

Code:
Marlin lever action sights 
i just got a Marlin 45-70 1895G and im debateing what kind of sights to put on it. Im planning on either a low power scope or iron sights. Im leaning towards the iron sights for a number of reasons: cheaper, can take more abuse, and i could get on/follow a target better. Im not really looking for recommended scope brands but more on scope vs. iron sights. As far as iron sights go what are some good brands? Ive heard things about lyman and skinner sights but i dont really know anything about them. Also how easy and how would i go about removing the factory sights on my rifle?

thanks

I just purchased a new 1895 myself, nice rifles, both models. I already own a .444S, with peep sight, a Marlin .375 w/peep sight and a 336ER .356 with scope. The truth is that with a properly mounted, low power scope, it is easier to aquire the target and shoot accurately, no doubt about that. There are many who claim a peep sight or irons are quicker, but they must have never shot a rifle with quality, well mounted optics, IMO.

The peep sight is a very useful tool, I won't argue that, but really only better than a scope in poor weather, such as rain or snow. A peep sight is also a worse choice in low light. A quality scope is way brighter at first and last light. In my opinion a problem that would knock off your scope's zero, such as a hard knock or dropping the rifle, would likely knock off the irons as well.

A sturdy QD mount such as a Weaver or Warne system, mounted as low as is comfortable for your shooting position would allow you the best of both worlds, precision with the scope and the ability to remove it in foul weather, if need be. Mine are mounted as such, but have never been removed.

Nikon Makes a great 1.5-4.5 (Monarch comes with #4 reticle), Weaver makes a fine 1-3 (V3) and Leupold has several good low-power scopes in the 1-4 range, one of my favorites is the SG model with HD (heavy duplex). On the 1895 I think you'll find that the rear sight simply folds forward and will not be in the way with any of these scopes anyway.
Good Luck.

azredhawk44

I've scoped a levergun, as has a friend.

I've done scout-mount and receiver mount. Hated both. He just did receiver. He hated it.

If you might need to take long shots, bring a bolt action.

If you're stomping with a levergun, they just don't feel right unless the balance is kept stock. I'm partial to Williams sights that allow for horizontal and vertical windage adjustments with a rear aperture. If low light is a concern, then a buckhorn set of green-illuminated fiber optic firesights and a matching front sight that removes any hood would be a good setup.

ddeyo1

use what your comfortable with. Personally i grew up shooting deer with iron sights on a shotgun, and when i set up a varmint rig it was hard as hell to adjust to a scope. To say the least i am still much quicker and more reliable out to 100 with irons in a hunting sitiation. so if irons float your boat go that way. Thats how my marlin is set up.

dipper

I have both low power variable scopes and iron sights on my marlin 1894s.

Personally, I can get on target much faster with a low power scope than I can with iron sights or more specifically the peep sights I have mounted on one of my 1894s.

Skinner sights are very nice if you choose to go that way.

Doodlebugger45

When I first got my Marlin in a trade, it had a low power scope of some kind mounted on it. It wasn't a problem shooting it or finding the target, but it made it more awkward for carrying. One of the things I really like about short lever rifles is that they are very easy to carry in thick brush or rough country. Besides being light, your thumb just naturally goes over the top of the receiver and it's a very natural carry position for those long hikes. With the little scope mounted on it, it messes up the whole thing. You can still carry it with one hand, but your thumb has to go alongside the receiver, parallel to the scope.

I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you carry one all day long, you will notice it puts a lot more strain on your forearm muscles and you will feel the difference at the end of a long day.

The other thing is if you carry a rifle on horseback a lot, the scope makes it a bit more difficult to slide in and out of the scabbard.

I don't have any experience with the peep sights or ghost rings, but I am intrigued with that idea and I might give them a try one of these days.

badlander

You can have both. with the XS scout system and quick release rings. You can use other types of sights with the XS scout mount. Best of both worlds.

dgludwig

I prefer the Williams "Fool Proof" (or the Lyman equivalent) receiver sight for most all of my lever-action rifles/carbines. Fast, accurate and rugged.

Rob96

For my Guide Gun I had a 2-7x scope on it and didn't like it. I switched to a set of XS sights and love it. The balance and feel were restored with the XS sights.

Nastrowie!

I love my guide gun, its been my go to the last 3 years. I prefer the ghost ring, I think its fast, all of my deer have been taken <50 yds, most way less. We don't hunt cornfields up here so this is all I need. You can also mount a leupold fx II scout on that XS rail mount mentioned, and keep the ghost ring as a backup. Get some quick release style rings. My friend, who turned me on to the guide gun, uses this exact setup. It looks great. I may end doing the same pending funds. I think the XS mount is around $50, so not bad, but the leupold scout scope goes for I think $280+ so your pockets will get lighter.