Marlin / L. C. Smith????

Guy B. Meredith

Those of you on more than one forum will see this thread repeated as I am very curious about this.

When I went to the Marlin site to look at their .357 magnum lever rifles the Home page had a notice of things to come in 2005 and mentions the return of L. C. Smith.

Anyone have knowledge or comments on this? A new one would not replace the one my grandpappy had that I have tried to pry out of the hands of disinterested relatives, but this does pique my interest.

Guy B. Meredith

HunterTRW

Marlin Firearms Company bought the Hunter Arms Company (the manufacturer of L.C. Smith shotguns since 1890) in October of 1945, and named the new business the L.C. Smith Gun Company. They continued production at the company's Fulton, New York factory until the collapse of its main floor early in the morning on January 16, 1949. Marlin decided against repairing the factory, and completed only the guns in process. The last L.C. Smith catalog was published in 1950.

In 1967 Marlin reintroduced the L.C. Smith shotgun in two grades: Field and Deluxe Field, in 12-gauge only, and featuring double triggers, extractors, and 28-inch barrels with a black aluminum vent-rib. They built a total of 2,539 guns before production was again ceased in 1972.

To see this Phoenix rise from the ashes a second time would be good news, and I hope that the rumor is true! I have a 12-gauge Field-grade gun made by Hunter featuring outside hammers and fluid steel barrels, and I dearly love it. It's not a fancy gun by any means, but one that speaks eloquently of the quality and tradition of another age.

Jim Watson

Interesting. Wonder if they are actually going to make them or import them from Russia (Stevens) or Turkey (Kimber.)