Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70

smitty21

I am thinking about getting the Guide Gun, but I am new to 45/70. I'm trying to find out how good it is and what are some good loads. Please help me out

smitty21

J. Parker

smitty21; I've never hunted with one but I owned a Marlin 45/70 a few years ago. The big/heavy bullet fascinated me. The ammo was to pricey so I sold it. Nowadays, there's some absolutely powerful factory loads out there to chose from. Go to "search" and type in 45/70 and you'll get a whole bunch of info. Good Luck, J. Parker

Hawkeye

I have one and am pleased with it, but I haven't started handloading for it. It's a handy rifle and I'm thinking of it as a brush/woods gun for deer and elk. Gun Test Magazine had a good review on the rifle in January 2000 or so and that is worth searching out.

I did add as Ashley aperture rear sight and Williams front Firesight to mine, as I dislike the factory sights. I'll probably get the trigger worked on also. The gun is pleasant to shoot.

You might ask Rich about this rifle. I believe he has one and has had some work done on it.

Keith Rogan

Ditto on the above, excellent rifle for woods use.
The sights suck, but you can buy the Ashley or Wild West Ghost Rings for a reasonable amount. You have to replace the sights or the gun is almost unusable.'
As far as loads, any cast flat nose or truncated cone will serve for deer. If you want big game, see Mr. Garrett.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

JNewell

Another good sight option is the Williams Fool-Proof, which is rugged, quick (depending on aperture chosen, and easy to install.

I really like this rifle. The only comments are that I sorta wish it had a full-length mag tube (although it would not balance as nicely) and when shooting on a covered range the muzzle blast can be somewhat obnoxious.

Depending on how you sight this rifle in (and what you feed it), it's reasonably flat over the first 150 yards. Commercial ammo isn't any more expensive in New England than any other caliber, and is pretty easy to find. Handloading is easy, and the action is strong.

rhetor

The Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 is extremely versatile and is one of my favorite rifles to shoot and reload for. If you handload, the possibilities for the 45/70 round really open up. Cast bullets make for inexpensive practice rounds (300 gr Lazercast FP over 13 grs of Unique) that are a blast to shoot, and anyone could handle them. For hunting applications heavier bullets and IMR 3031 combine for some stouter loads or take Keith Rogan's advice and go with the hot stuff from Garrett.

El Lobo

You might want to join the 45-70 listserv at

45-70rifles-subscribe@egroups.com

Also, Paul Matthews has a book called "Forty Years with the 45-70. It covers both Marlin lever rifles and Ruger Number Ones.

Lobo

Rob96

Now see what you's did. With all of these posts of positive comments he went out and got one. I knew he was looking for a .45, but I didn't know he would end up with a .45 like this. So, how's it going bro? :)

Wingspan

I've had one for about 6 months. It's all kinds of fun. To be honest, I have no use for this gun. I don't hunt and there aren't many bears in Indiana that I need protection from. But hey, who says you've got to have a need to own a gun? I bought it because I just fell in love with it at first sight. I'm not really into lever guns, but it just looked so damn cool in the shop that I had to have it. I've come to love it for it's killer muzzle flash, exceptional rock-breaking ability, and the looks on other people's faces when I let loose at the local indoor range. :cool:

Maybe I should try hunting with it? Naa, I like my food wrapped in plastic, not fur. :cool:

smitty21

Thanks for all the comments, like my brother said, I went out and got one yesterday. Only problem is finding ammo for it is kind of hard. One more question, would it be wrong to put a scope on it?

JNewell

Recoil is a little hard to describe. It's different from any other rifles I've shot. It is substantial -- as expected from a relatively light rifle with a relatively generous charge of powder and a heavy bullet. However, it's more like a shove than a kick. It feels very spread out, like a wave rather than a spike.

The Dope Bag review a couple of years ago made a point of saying that the compensated barrel made recoil lighter. Dunno. I imagine that it keeps the muzzle from rising as much, so it seems to recoil less?

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
I can't speak to the Guide, but I have an 1895 carbine. No porting, straight wrist, Refield rear ghost ring. Unreal accuracy. :)

I handload for it, which brings the ammo cost down to ~$.75. 400gr Speer JSPs and 55gr H4895 in Federal brass.

JNewell described the .45-70 recoil pulse pretty well. It's a healthy shove in the shoulder, but not painful (with correct stance). I'd rather shoot .45-70 than, say, .300 Win.

Bottom line: a great little gun and a fantastic cartridge.

Wingspan

There was a scope on my Guide Gun when I bought it. I promptly took it off and sold it to a friend. I like scoped rifles, but not on this one.

JNewell

The best selection is Brownells (www.brownells.com) -- also the best guarantee, but retail prices.

I just got the latest catalog in the mail today and noticed that there is a "new" Ashley sight for levers. It's listed as an aperture rear sight and is a little different from the other "ghost ring" sight they sell for Marlins. (Brownells page 160, # 006-000-006). Looks pretty rugged and mounts on the existing scope base mount screws (like the Wild West sight they also sell). Any users out there?

Wingspan

Just FYI, I've decided to sell my Guide Gun to help pay for a new gun safe. See my post in the For Sale Forum. Thanks.