Marlin Camp 9

cohoskip

I have a Marlin Camp 9. I purchased about 3 years ago, went to the range with it a couple of times then put it in storage. I have been busy with my other firearms. It was stored with the bolt open, and today I pulled it out and I cannot get the bolt closed no matter what I do. I am not yet that familiar with this rifle and I feel like a dummy. It is probably something I am not doing right and I am at a loss on this problem. Can any body offer a suggestion? :eek:

Onward Allusion

There's a bolt release on the bottom of the receiver if memory serves me.
It should release. It's been years since I had mine.

Last edited:

9x19

Tried it with and without the magazine?

Later models have a manual bolt hold open on left side of mag well, up for lock open down for close.

cohoskip

I've done just about everything except disassemble. I may have to do that.
Thanks Derbel for the manual link and thank you all for your input...

mpolk

On the side of the mag well, there is the mag release and a mg hold open. If the mag hold slide button is in the up position, it will not release. Pull the mag out and slide button down. Should be able to pull the handle back and let it close.

gyvel

it's also a possibility that whatever lube you used when it was stored has turned to varnish. (WD-40 is famous for that.) In essence, it literally holds like glue; I've had DA revolvers lock up to the point where the hammer couldn't be cocked due to WD-40 turning into varnish. Luckily, WD-40 varnish is easy to dissolve with ordinary mineral spirits, or even spraying with more WD-40 with a thorough cleaning afterwards.

SHR970

You do know that there were two types of bolt hold opens right???? The early one (the one I have you pulled the bolt to the rear and pushed the bolt handle in to hold it open. Pull handle out to deactivate. By chance would that be the one you have????? ;)

BTW, do not use any cleaner / solvent with acetone in it unless you want to find out how much of a pain changing the trigger housing out can be. It is made from ABS and Acetone will melt it.