Marlin 9mm

cohoskip

I just found and ordered a Marlin Model 9 (9mm) rifle. It comes with 2 mags, one is high capacity. I will put on a Bushnell scope with Dednutz rings.
I am looking forward to some fun with this little rifle... :)

Last edited:

10-96

I have a blast with mine. For poops and giggles, I ordered a 30rnd S&W 59 series magazine and put on a circle reticle shotgun scope. I first put on a diamond reticle Simmons- but typical Simmons quality reared it's head and the scope died. Anyhow, with the shotgun type reticle- that is a fast acquisition combo!
My only gripe is how dirty it shoots- but then again, I've nerver had it foul to the point of failure.

ISC

When you get it inspect the bolt buffer. The factory buffers tend to disintegrate which often leads to cracked stocks.

I'd recommend a blackjack buffer and upgraded spring from the blackjack website.

I did that and wounred a cheap BSA red dot scope on mine. I'd like to get a folding stock to finish it, but don't like the way the choate stocks look, I want one like the butler creek stock on my 10/22.

10-96

ISC- thanks for the buffer reminder! I thinks they also sell replacements for Marlin 60's and several other rigs.

cohoskip

Thanx for the info. I already ordered a 21 lb replacement spring from Wolff.
Just ordered the Blackjack buffer from NOKICK. His price was $1.00 less than Blackjack and shipping was $5.65. Blackjack wants $12.95 for shipping!!

Last edited:

BigAl1958

Wow, great find

Hey CoHo,

Enjoy the plinking; I've been looking for a Ruger PC9 or a Marlin 9 for a while now. I don't like the clip in the handle that the other 9's have , it's a proper carbine in my opinion with that config.

cohoskip

Para Bellum, it is "slightly used" I'm informed. No, unfortunately, they haven't made them for ten years. Too bad, I do believe there would be a market for them...

Beretta686

Not trying to hijack the thread, but...

If your wanting to get a 9mm carbine, why bother with a Marlin that has been out of production for 10 years and doesn't offer too much in the way of accessories?

For a few hundred $$$ more you could get a 9mm upper for an AR-15 and be on your way, which you can accessorize the hell out of, if you want to.

Or is there something special about the Marlins that sets it apart? (I've never shot one personally)

Beretta686

Do you have a 9mm upper for an AR-15?
To get one with mags that aren't custom/proprietary you pretty much have to get a dedicated lower also.

I had a Model 1, 9mm 7.5 incher on my SBR lower, and it was great. All you need is a mag block which tightens in with an Allen wrench & a 9mm hammer (unless your using the CMMG Inc. 9mm upper, which uses regular hammers, allowing a NM trigger if you want it). I shot tons of 5.56 & .22 out of their respective uppers with that hammer in & had no problems.

As for mags their easy to find & cheap.

I believe your thinking of the one lowers that allows you to use Glock mags, but that's the only one that makes you dedicate that lower exclusively for 9mm.

Making an AR into a 9mm is an easy & affordable route if you want a 9mm carbine. I've got one SBR lower that shoots .22LR, 9mm, 5.56 & 7.62x39 all for one $200 tax-stamp.

cohoskip

Well, all I want is a nice little 9mm "plinker" without going to the trouble (and expense) of adding and modifying. I don't need to add a bunch of extras.
Frankly, for my use, I'd rather have the Marliln than an AR15. Just my humble opinion...

Last edited:

10-96

Well said.
My onliest gripe is that I have yet to find a way to put a decent brass catcher on mine. That said, if you live or work on a farm/ranch- DO NOT shoot that thing off in the cab of your truck! Mine caused me to buy a new rearview mirror.