Marlin 795 First Impressions

kdf101

I have had my 795 (stainless) about six months now and, after about 2k rounds my thoughts are as follows:
- This gun is the pickiest rifle I have ever owned as far as ammunition it will fire. CCI Minimags are about the only thing it will function 100% with. If it is a lead round nose or anything not copper plated, I can expect a jam or failure to feed once every 10-20 rounds. In general, the copper plated work better. I suppose with a semi-auto, that may be expected, but my 10-22 I bought new in 1986 feeds just about anything without issue.

- Accuracy is okay. I am not a bench shooter, but it is certainly accurate enough for squirrels, which is what it will be used for this Fall.

- Fit and finish is okay. Some people think it feels "cheap", but I am okay with the plastic stock. For the low price of the rifle, I am satisfied with the stock.

- It is very light and handy. It may be the best "walking around" gun I have owned.

- The sights are okay. I like the orange front sight and it seems to work well enough for me. I originally replaced them with tech Sites, but they kept falling off, even with lok-Tite and the screw tightened down as tight as I can get it. I suspect the integral rail on the receiver is not quite right.

Overall, I am torn with this gun. I really want to like it, but with the ammo pickiness and (in my mind) suspect top rail, I am not confident that it will actually perform well unless i use Mini mags exclusively. I am not sorry i bought it, but don't think I would buy one again.

jmortimer

I have two older 795s and they eat everything I have every put in them. I always assumed the 795 was rock solid but too many reports of problems lately. I really like mine, but again they are about 10 years old +/-

Jbotto

It seems by the information I've gleaned off of Rimfire Central in the last few months, that the old were great, reliable, and digested nearly everything. Then there is a period where they were made and the rails were cut crooked and they were little jam-a-matics. Now I think the new plant where Marlins are now being made has fixed the problem and now puts out a very solid rifle again. I want one, as I love the ones I've shot, but I will just wait a few months to get the better ones farther into circulation.

Blackshirts

My 795 is a '09 bought new in Oct '10 and runs federal bulk lead round nose just fine. Put 200 rounds of it through yesterday and just 2 stovepipes.

Yes, check out rimfire central and you can get it running great.

Onward Allusion

kdf101
Marlin 795 First Impressions

My oldest loves his because it's so light. As for being ammo picky, it will get less picky with wear. Also, it gets dirty easily. A good spray with RemOil will wash out the gunk w/o having to disassemble.

RedneckFur

I've owned a few marlin 975's and Model 60's.
Because they're cheap, I seem to always be using them as trade fodder, and then I'll buy another as soon as Dicks has them on sale.

That said, all of the Marlin 60's and 795's I've had have been great shooters.

My current 795 is the most accurate one I've owned. I've been tempted to put it in a heavy stock adn add a scope just to see what its capable of.

Triggers on these rifles arent so good. But the factory trigger in every 10/22 I've owned has been far worse.

My model 60's and 795's have never been picky about ammo. My current 795 gets fed a steady diet of whatever's cheapest when I buy ammo, and it shoots remington golden bullets and thunder-duds just as well as the CCI and Wolf ammo.

Perhaps I've been lucky to have owned either all good model 60's/795's, or all bad 10/22's, but I think making the switch from 10/22 to marlin .22's is one of the best choices i've made in regards to firearms.

kdf101

I put a hundred or so Winchester 333's through it tonight. I only had one jam, a stovepiped empty. Maybe it is starting to come around. I am not quite ready to give up on it just yet. At fifty yards I was consistently hitting my spinner targets, which is more than good enough for me.

Gehrhard

Bought my 795 a month ago. Dick's wouldn't exchange it or take it back. Gunsmith wouldn't bother with it. Trigger is out for warranty repair without ever being shot -- worst outta the box gun I have ever handled. I care less about having to use a pair of pliers to remove the mags. These are NOT your Father's Marlins, they are more like modern Remington shotguns -- unreliable and cheapified.

Buy a Ruger and drop in a Volquartsen hammer/spring for $33 delivered. That'd actually be a gun that costs twice as much and cheap for the money!

Blackshirts

No offense, but I would find a new gunsmith if hundreds of amateur's can spend 10 minutes and get a 3 pound trigger and your gunsmith won't touch it.

Sgt.Fathead

I have a thread that's close to this about the Marlin 795 I bought to make an Appleseed Liberty Training Rifle. I polished the internals with a Dremel and now it feeds and cycles just fine! It's a fun little gun and I am happy with it and not at all upset to have had to polish and tweak it a bit.

Gehrhard

None taken -- I have no emotional investment in the 795 nor a grudge against that master gunsmith. He literally has to turn away business and has standards. Me, I made the mistake of buying a $114 Remington-made Marlin -- I have no right to take offense.

Everyone's mileage may vary -- just a head's up.

timelinex

Try to fully clean out the entire rifle with some hoppe's 9 and do not oil it ANYWHERE. Not a drop. That fixed my problem entirely, they really do not like running with oil. If that doesn't work, try a new magazine. I have two magaziens and then all of a sudden last time I started to have jamming issues out of no where agian. Turned out it was just with one of the magazines, so not sure what went wrong with it but will be getting it exchanged.