Marlin 60

ncpatriot

Did an afternoon of shooting Thanksgiving day with my Model 60. Enjoyed it a lot; haven't had a chance to shoot much lately.

Later, while cleaning, I saw I had a broken end on the trigger guard assembly, which is plastic, not metal. I pulled out my owner's manual, copied the parts page and wrote a letter to Marlin, requesting price for the part. Checking their website for current address, I saw a note that they do not service rimfire rifles over 30 years old. Mine is right on the borderline, bought in 1984. I sure hope that does not mean they no longer have the parts. If not, that will diminish my image of them a lot. Something is amiss when a co. boasts a long history, rifles to last a lifetime, etc and then does not back them up with service/parts.

g.willikers

Yeah, Marlin sure likes to use easily damaged plastic for some of their parts.
That metal one from DIP looks like the way to go, if spending much of the value of the gun for one isn't objectionable.
Another way is to repair it.
Won't have to disassemble it, either, and risk loosing little parts.
I repaired a 12 gauge single shot with the same problem by fashioning an overlay piece of aluminum.
One end had the screw hole and the other end overlaid the broken guard and secured with epoxy.
Didn't even remove the guard.
It never did break again.
Very easy to do and worth a try.

ncpatriot

Glad to see these options. I will consider the metal part from DIP for sure. Thinking back, my rife has not been used all that much. Probably 5,000 rounds or less since I bought it in 1985. I've disassembled it no more than a dozen times and didn't remove the trigger guard each time, so it hasn't been stressed that much. $50 or so sounds good for a part that will probably never need replacing again.

I guess plastic parts are one way to keep costs down. I bought the rifle at a department store for about $95. I see current prices for tubeloading Brownings & Remingtons run about $700. Current Model 60's look to run about
$200. I assume Browing & Remington use all metal parts? How about Ruger, Savage & Mossberg?

superspirit

Marlin firearms have been purchased by the freedom group, and in my opinion are now crap. I'll never purchase another.

drobs

Be real careful when you take the trigger assembly out. There is a tiny ball point pen sized spring that is real easy to kink if you're not careful reassembling the gun.

I had the plastic trigger group break off my Mossberg 500. Mossberg was aware of the problem and replaced the trigger group with another one. Also plastic.

Hawg

Marlin firearms have been purchased by the freedom group, and in my opinion are now crap. I'll never purchase another.

I bought a new one a couple of years ago and it shoots like a dream. I didn't like the dinky little no name 3/4 tube scope that came with it and not crazy about the short barrel but it's a tack driver. I know Freedom Group owns Remington, Marlin and H&R but I found it odd a Marlin came with an H&R trigger lock. :confused::D

jmstr

Numrich gun parts corp has all sorts of used parts for guns.

Also, if upgrades interest you. Check out the KAT trigger via arrowdodger at rimfirecentral dot com.

Mine is a smooooooth pull with a crisp break right at about 2.5 lbs.

Does you 60 have the lsho feature? Or does a dryfire tell you that you are empty?

Is yours 14 rounds or 17?

Hawg

Does you 60 have the lsho feature? Or does a dryfire tell you that you are empty?

Is yours 14 rounds or 17?

Last shot holds the bolt open. Holds 14 if you load it with the bolt open, 15 if it's closed.

jmstr

Then you have the most 'modern' design of them. Know that the trigger guard dlp sells is good for you, but not older ones. You have more options.

Hawg

yeah, I've looked at that before but I'm not working now. Going to be awhile before I buy anything. Guess I'll just hope mine holds up.

jmstr

Mine is 18 round, no hold open but can do it manually.

Marlin brand? My Glenfield only does 17, but had that manual feature.

I upgraded feedthroat and bolt for reliability, and then added LSHO a decade later for convenience.

Love the 60!

COSteve

I got a new Marlin model 99 for Christmas in 1959 which is a walnut stocked version that predated the model 60. It was my first rifle and a great shooter but unfortunately, a friend backed over it and destroyed it in the late 90's. So, I got a 1999 model 60 that's decent but nowhere near as nice as my old 99. It's one of five 22lr rifles I own including 1ea 1964 High Standard P100 pump, 2ea 1973 10/22s, and 1ea 2008 Henry lever, but the Marlin is still my most favorite as it just fits the best and is very accurate.