Marlin 60 vs 795

Lunker

I am looking for an inexpensive but accurate 22LR semi-auto rifle. I am leaning towards Marlin since I have liked their lever guns so much. I see the Model 60, which is a classic and the one I was initially leaning towards. I checked Marlin's website and see the Model 795. It looks like the same gun, but with a synthetic stock and a standard magazine (as opposed to the model 60 magazine tube). Does anyone have any recommendation of one over the other? Are there any disadvantages/advantages one has over the other. Magazine versus mag tube is a tossup to me.
Will someone try to convince me that I should get the Ruger 10/22 or Mossberg plinkster, or something I am not thinking of? :)

CortJestir

The Marlin 795 is a tack driver right out of the box. It's a great value, especially if you catch one $30 off at Dick's Sporting Goods here and there.

One thing you'll notice between the 795 and the Marlin 60 is the size of the stock. The 795's stock is super thin and light - great for children, but you may want to add a cheek piece and/or more weight.

The 10/22 is, of course, a classic. Not as accurate out of the box as the 795, IME. It's more expensive than the 795 and about the same as the 60 but has much better after-market support than both (if you like to tinker with your rifles).

qwman68

i have a mossberg plinkster and it shoots like a dream.it has a mag instead of a tube.i got mine nib for less than 100 dollars.they might be a little more expensive now but its a great rifle.

TriumphGuy

They both shoot great right off the bat. For a .22, I like a tube mag. Shot for shot, it's faster and easier to reload when you're shooting all day, as one tends to do when 500 rounds of ammunition is only $20.