marlin 60 doesnt shoot straight

horatioo

I have the back sight way the heck over to one side for it to hit the target. It looks funny like it was knocked over. Is there any thing to do about it? It will hit what I am at with it that way, but it is way the heck over and looks goofy.

Thanks

Jimro

Pics would be nice.

I suspect that there is a mounting problem with your sights, but there is no way to tell without seeing the rifle.

Jimro

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I'm assuming your gun is similar to mine which is about 1964 vintage, I really don't know how they put the sights on the new guns.

If you don't have a gun vise get a block of wood, lay a piece of leather or blanket/towel/shop rag, whatever on top of that. Get a brass punch, if you don't have one its a good time to buy a set. Center your rear sight and then drift your front sight with a tap, shoot a 3 shot group at something like 50' and look, mark it. Drift it a little farther, just a tap at a time. Shoot another 3 shot group and compare. Now you know how far and what direction to go and if you need a big tap or a little tap. Brass hammer if you have one or a tack hammer if you don't, this is fine tuning work not barn building.