Marlin 60 ammo help

SpookBoy

Got my first marlin 60 yesterday. All in all, vg shape. Draganov stock, nice 4x scope, bipod. Now ammo is very hard to come by here. So i can only afford 1 at the moment , so its either 325pk of federal auto match. Or pay $5 more for
The 375pk of cci mini mags. Which one & why?

upstate81

The federal ammo is designed for semiauto guns. Honestly for just 5 bucks more for another box of 50 i would go with the cci. Both are equally reliable depending on who you ask. I would say its a moot point, get the bigger box. Both will work great in the marlin 60.

KMAX

Model 60 Marlin is one of my favorite all-time guns. I had one that my wife bought me for a birthday in 1987. I shot the heck out of it for 20 years and gave it to a friend who has shot the heck out of it since. It had just the plain wood stock which I prefer, but whatever floats your boat. I shot many different brands of ammo, mostly bulk pack Federal and Remington. The only problems I had were if I let it get really dirty it might fail to feed or extract. It would be REALLY dirty when this happened. I no longer let any of my guns get that dirty.

Panfisher

The only problems I ever had with any of my various model 60's was if I got lazy and didn't clean them, and it took quite a while to get dirty enough to affect cycling. Other than that while it would shoot match ammo or even standard velocity ammo very accurately it didn't alway cyle them through (see the commen on too lazy to clean it), however the HV stuff and certainly mini-mags always cycled through.

jimmythegeek

Either of them are good candidates

Your rifle may shoot tighter groups with one vs. the other, but you'll never know until you try.

I have about 20 different types of .22lr ammo, to shoot in 5 rifles. I need to get organized and figure out which goes with which, which rifle can take advantage of premium ammo and which do fine with slop.

seanc

+1 to what jimmythegeek said.

Buy both and see which brand shoots better. Each rifle's going to have it's own preferred ammo brand. Whichever brand doesn't shoot as well, you can still have plenty of fun with it.

As you shoot the 2 brands, take notice that they'll probably have 2 different points of impact. Find the brand that has the tightest groups, then adjust your sights for that brand (if you need to adjust your sights).

mr.t7024

Marlin 60 ammo

Because of the .22 shortage.I buy what is available. Like the the guy said for 5 bucks more go for it!:) Cliff

pilpens

Need to try different ammo to see what shoots best.
Both ammo you mentioned are good quality but both are on the expensive side.
I normally stay with the cheaper bulk packs unless shooting for groups at 50 yards.

ripnbst

Chances are by the time you go back to where you saw that ammo it will be gone haha. I'd buy the CCI or Fed Auto Match comparing quality, wouldn't make a lick of difference to me. Its .22LR.

Given the ammo situation I'd buy the one with more rounds because who knows when you will see it again.

Boomer58cal

Because of the .22 shortage.I buy what is available. Likethetheguy said for 5 bucks more go for it! Cliff

What he said. If you can't afford to buy both right now I buy the one with the most rounds. You'll never know which one suits your particular gun untill you try them Just buy the best deal and have fun.

My model 60 isn't picky but it is slightly more accurate with some brands of ammo.

Boomer

seanc

If they've got it, buy it! :) Save your best target from each brand for comparison for later.

I haven't seen .22LR on the shelf in 9 months. Wait...wait...I'm wrong...I saw .22LR shot shells. That's it. And lots of .17 somethin-somethin...