Marlin 45-70 1895 CB question

mehavey

What is it with all this grief for having an unobtrusive,
well-designed, positive function, and well-placed safety ?

Count me... a multi-Multi-MULTI Marlin owner... as a fan

DPris

Member Emeritus
Many of us consider the crossbolt unnecessary, and it tends to activate itself when not wanted.

Happens in the hunting field, and at CAS events.

Not every day, not to everybody, but often enough to be a nuisance.
Denis

I'm not sure what is meant by a long magazine, but I know someone who has a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 without that nasty safety on it.

SG29736

You can easily put a rubber O ring to lock the safety in the off position or you can get into the receiver to tighten down a screw that locks it in place. And there is the previously mentioned replacement part. I use the O ring. Mark

jumpingeezer

I don't believe that Marlin ever made the Model 1895 45-70 with a full length magazine tube. If the cross block safety is an issue, then simply install a rubber "O" ring on the safety button and be done with it.

The Marlin version of the cross block safety is hardly noticeable. It's not at all like the "Moon Crater" version that Winchester put on their lever action model 94.:eek:

kcub

Na, it's still fugly but thanks.

I have a stainless guide gun and want to fix it. I bought it 15 years ago because it accidently has great wood.

But no more "nanny knows best" guns for me. I was thinking of getting a pre safety Marlin full length mag 45-70 but maybe not, we'll see.

Gunplummer

I bought one when they were re-introduced. I could not swear to it, but I don't think they had anything but the half length tube. I had to order mine and that was all that was offered at the time.

kcub

I have a Browning 1886 high grade which in my head was a saddle ring carbine. I dug it out of the safe and it turns out to be a full length magazine rifle with a saddle ring. It holds 7 45-70s.

<Bruce Willis>
Yippee kaiyay, mf!
</Bruce Willis>

Still looking for that stainless Marlin safety plug if anyone knows.

Big Shrek

Email 'em and ask to be informed when they get the Stainless back in stock...

Most companies are happy to make an Insta-sale...I know Lone Wolf sure does ;)