Marlin 444 with 1/20 twist rate? Where can I find one?

Ruga Booga

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Marlin lever action 444 with the 1/20 twist rate? I was hoping someone can direct me to an online site where I could purchase new. Gunbroker seems to only have the older Marlins. Any help is appreciated

oldscot3

I believe the older slow twist rifles are "Micro Groove" while the newer, quicker twists are Ballard style.
I can't help unfortunately, however, I wish you success because I'm a big fan fan of what you're looking for. I have one, it's one of the last of the good "JM" marked examples. I can't remember the dom off the top of my head but it's pretty late yet before quality slumped and they were bought by Remington. Mine shoots moa +/- which always amazes me, I've never had a lever gun that accurate before and I've had several pretty good ones.
Take heart, you may be able to get a brand new one. I'm hearing the quality of current "Remlins" has improved and a run of 444s may be coming soon.

FrankenMauser

Marlin Model 444s were discontinued in 2012, after Remington ditched the existing tooling, fired all of the Marlin craftsmen, completely botched production on new tooling in Ilion NY, and put out some HORRIBLE rifles that required extensive repairs and many, many full refunds.

Marlin 444s used a 1:38" twist 'Micro-Groove' barrel, from 1963 to mid-year 1998. From mid-1998 until discontinuation, all barrels were "Ballard" rifled with a 1:20" twist.

Remington announced reintroduction of the Model 444 in 2014 (twice) ... and 2015 (thrice) ... and 2016 (thrice) ... and 2017 (once - "shipping 2Q 2017"). So far, only three pre-production samples have been seen, with about 50 rifles reported to have shipped to distributors in 2014, but immediately recalled with no reason given. None have made it 'into the wild'.
It might still happen, but don't get your hopes up. Remington has been announcing new Model 444s for a couple months shy of four years now.

So...
If you want a 1:20" twist .444 Marlin, the options are limited to used rifles.
For Marlin: 1998-2008 are the acceptable years for Marlin 444s. Don't go newer than 2008. (Quality was falling, even before Remington really screwed the pooch.) 2007 and 2008 are considered by 444 aficionados to be the cream of the crop for a 'modern 444'.
Personally, I have found the 2007 and 2008s to be the quality and performance pinnacle for the model, as well -- even including the Micro-Groove ("MG") years. None were bad years. It's just that Marlin finally got it almost perfect, just before the slump.

If you can get by with a single shot, a used H&R Handi-Rifle (also discontinued by Remington ... in 2015?) in .444 Marlin will have a 'Ballard' 1:20" twist barrel.
For a new single shot, CVA offers a couple models that have 1:20" twist rates.

Winchester used several twist rates for .444 Marlin barrels, over the years. Again, you have to look for a used rifle. But the twist rates were adequate (between 1:24" and 1:30").

ThomasT

If you are wanting a 1/20 so you can shoot heavier bullets I understand that. But in the Speer #14 reloading manual they tested the 300gr bullet from an older Marlin with the slower 1/38 twist and micro-groove rifling and stated their rifle shot the best groups it had ever fired with 100 yards groups in the inch and a half range.

If a 300gr bullet won't kill whatever Dinosaur you are hunting you may want to look for a 45/70 instead.

Here is a link to marlinowners forum and they are all about Marlin firearms. You may want to join and list a "want to buy" for the model you are looking for.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/forum.php

Ruga Booga

Thank you all for the info and advice. I will check that link out. I actually sold my 444 Handi with 500 S&W barrel for funding a Marlin lever action. The Handi was nice but I have a TC encore which I like better. Yes I did want to shoot 300 xtp's since I have a lot of them, but if 1/38 stabilizes them just fine maybe I will just get an older JM. I appreciate the help, thank you all

FrankenMauser

The key to stabilizing heavier bullets with the MG (1:38") barrels is velocity.
Most MG 22-24" barrels top out at 300-320 grains for cup-and-core or cast bullets, and can't handle bullets heavier (longer) than that.

But if you're satisfied with 300 gr or lighter, an MG barrel will get the job done. You just have to remember to push for the max safe velocity you can obtain.
With 1:20" twist barrels, you can't get much more, anyway. The COAL limitation put in place by action length, and the way that brass bulges when heavy bullets are seated deeply, keeps most shooters from being able to load anything heavier than about 340 gr. The fast twist can stabilize bullets in excess of 500 gr, down to less than 1,400 fps (if I recall my calculations correctly). ...But those loads are only usable in a single-shot. (That's what my 444 Handi-Rifle is for... ;))

In my experience, 1:20" twist is actually too fast for .444 Marlin - especially with heavy cast bullets. ...But all but one of my 444s is a 'Ballard' 1:20" rifle, because I find the limitations of the MG barrel to be worse than the minor issues that come with the steep 1:20" twist.
And the one MG? Well, it's special. It's a hybrid of a Model 36, a 336, an XLR, and a 444. There isn't another one like it, and I figured the MG barrel was more 'fittingly out of place' on a M36 receiver than a 'Ballard' barrel, since the MG rifling didn't come about until the '50s. It was also notably cheaper...

Last edited:

Ruga Booga

Well since it might be awhile before I get what I am looking for I decided to replace the Handi rifle I sold with a custom barrel from MGM for Encore chambered in 444. There is a special going on with MGM and Haus of Arms. 22in. stainless steel heavy contour, 1/20 twist and 5R rifling. $375 free shipping. I did not expect a ballard Marlin was so hard to come by. Oh well, the search is on. I guess that's half the fun