Marlin 39a misfires

took it out to shoot today and nothing but misfires...seems the fring pin is falling back into the reciever after I load a round into the chamber...and even if I nudge it back out by dropping the lever an inch, most times it still doesn'tg fire...the lever also feels a bit sloppy as it doesn't lay solid against the stock...any ideas what might be wrong?

Dean C

Have you tried carefully tightening all the screws? Even the big screw?
I've also worn out a firing pin but that's a catastrophic failure not a wear-out.
dean

El Paso Joe

Sounds like something is significantly wrong. It shouldn't do that. The firing pin rides in a square slot and has a couple extensions on the bottom to hold it in place and limit its travel. The lever lockup should be positive and tight. I think I would find a good gunsmith and take it in for a look-see. It will cost a few $ but the M39a is worth it.

chuckles

This may sound stupid but if yours is a newer model with the cross bolt safety, you do have the safety off right? The issue sounds like a firing pin is broken or may have been messed with, (read shortened) by Mr McBubba. Nice rifles those 39As and not normal to have issues with them. Good luck and let us know what you find as the cause.