Marlin 39 or ar15

vostracker

I know I should already know the answer, but what does the hive think? 5XX serial number Marlin model 39 or new AR15? $650.00? Marlin is used but in good shape.

Last edited:

Tony Z

Both!

Personally, I would opt for the Marlin 39 first, as they ain't making it anymore! Then when you can swing it, the AR.

Mobuck

Depends on what you want to do. Just tossing out the option of two radically different firearms isn't going to get you sound advice.

JT-AR-MG42

Me, I get what I want, but since you asked.
Seems like I read somewhere that there are quite a few ARs out there.
And you do not mention what brand of AR that 650 will get.

You rate the early 1920's Marlin 'good'.
Is that NRA modern firearm standards?

If rating modern standards, the Marlin would be a great buy,
especially if it is at the top end of that grade.

Antique standards 'good'?
Not collectible, so that would be an eyes on call to me
(and it would need to be better than good).

The early guns were made for standard velocity .22s only.
I would give that bore and chamber a serious good look (with the rifle dis-assembled).

JT

AR. Is a AR no matter the brand. And too everybody I know has at least one. Only AR brands I think that will become a outstanding valuable collectors piece. ArmaLite & Colt.
All those other ARs in the market your guess is as good as mine whether or not one brand or the other will command a decent resale price. Or a spot in a collectors cabinet in years to come.

But.
Few own a 39. I bought my 39 Golden rifle a 75 built not all that long ago. 20 years ago probably. Was bought used but I highly doubt a full box of shells were shot thru mine since it was new. Paid 350 for it. At the time. I thought 350 was a little to much money for a used 22. But as time goes by that thought kind'a dissipated thank Goodness._:)

Have taken the 39 to the range a couple times and have yet found a cartridge that groups well. I blame that behavior on its folding rear site. The sight itself is not loose or broken. {I just never have like folding sights.} I could change out the sight. But I seldom shoot the rifle as is. So why bother with.

My advice on your purchasing dilemma.
Unless congress drastically changes its current view on citizen AR ownership?
That 39 would be more pleasing to own. As they are appealing to the eye in ascetics and mechanical workings. Truly a very simple rifle to take apart but one having allot of little receiver screws.. :D

mxsailor803

Thats easy for me, 39 all day. You can find AR's every where. Or build your own. If that 39 is in as good as shape as you say, how often do you see them that way? I'm willing to bet not very often at all.

Pahoo

WOW; Never thought of that one !!!

JMHO;
If you are into guns as most of us are, at some point, everyone should experience the pleasure of owning and shooting a 39A or variant. I can't really say that about an AR although I have nothing personally against them. Really kind of like comparing oranges and apples. .... :rolleyes:

I should add that there are firearms that touch our hearts. Some that do, I even consider a work of art. Others don't get a second look. The 39-family always gets my attention. The first one I ever bought was at the base gun shop in Gitmo, Cuba. I paid $62.00 and still own it. It will be passed on to one of my most deserving grandchild. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

michaelcj

If you are interested in having the Finest Leveraction Rimfire ever produced go with a vintage 39A. Mine was made in 1946 and still in regular use. I do prefer older ones with Ballard rifling over "Micro-grove" but that is a personal preference.

AR-15? Mehhhh…..

SIGSHR

Yes, the Marlin first. You can fire all the 22LR you can afford-or find-indoors, outdoors and a vintage Marlin is a real joy to own.

vostracker

Thanks everybody for your thoughts! I was for the Marlin too, not only for me but as a fierarm to pass on! I can build a nice AR any time! I like classic stuff in my collection!

stubbicatt

Good choice. There's something special about steel and wood, and a lever action is pure Americana. Glad you made the "right" choice! ;)

Dfariswheel

Notice what JT-AR-MG42 posted above:

The older Marlin Model 39 rifles should NOT be fired with anything but Standard Velocity ammo or you run a high chance the bolt will break.

In the mid-1930's Marlin strengthened the bolt and these pre-Model 39-A rifles have serial numbers that start with "HS", meaning "High Speed".
So, if you have a rifle stamped as a Model 39 and it has any serial number prefix OTHER then "HS" use only Standard Velocity ammo.
If the rifle is a 39-A, it's good with any ammo.

Boncrayon

Though I use a Remington .3006 for big game, I have a Colt Competition for smaller game like deer or wild pigs. The question is not about what the do-all will give you, but what you are using it for. The AR is a fast line to a the target with lighting speed. But you did not mention the caliber for the Marlin. It really is not about the firearm as it is the deliver energy, distance and speed of the cartridge. Give us a reason for the choice...value, cost, purpose, add-on to collection, game size, distance, and accuracy (i.e., in the hands of the shooter...not the firearm.

drobs

Billary Clinton ain't looking to ban Marlin 39A's. If you don't have an AR15 now is the time to buy one while they are inexpensive.

Dfariswheel

Guess again, she and all the Progressives are out to ban/confiscate any firearm they can.

I could be wrong but I think that Australia confiscated even .22 lever actions.

At my old gun club we used to have the high class shotgunners and the Fudds saying that they'd NEVER come after their fine shotguns and hunting guns.
Since no one "needed" those silly military type rifles, they were not worried at all.
They got a shock when the banners started attempting to control even their guns.

The AR and other "assault" guns are not the end point, they're the STARTING point.

ThomasT

I have a 39a I bought many years ago for $225 OTD from a Pawn Shop. It came with a Williams Peep Sight on it. It has a few scratches in the stock wood but nothing major.

I like it because it will cycle anything from shorts on up. Just don't use Colibri with the no powder loads. They may not make it out of the 24" barrel.

If I told you how accurate it is you wouldn't believe me. But it shoots like a target rifle. The only thing I can think of as a negative is the weight. Its heavy for a 22 with the thick 24" barrel.

I know people think a scope on a lever gun is wrong but this rifle is so accurate it is almost criminal not to use a scope to take advantage of the rifles ability to shoot. Its that good.

As for choosing between the AR and the Marlin the Marlin wins every time. I will never sell mine. It will be passed on to my sons. They can fight it out as to who gets it. The loser can have my Ruger 77/22. Also a fantastic shooter and about the only 22 rifle I shoot these days.

kilimanjaro

There could be a platoon of zombies at my door, hungry for brains, I'd still pass on the AR and get the Marlin.

To paraphrase Freud, an AR is just a gun, but a Marlin 39A is a rifle!