Marlin .357

CZ_

Can the Marlin lever action rifles hold up to a steady diet of hot Cor Bon .357 magnum hunting loads?

From the Cor Bon site, the hunting loads are rated at:

180 grain 1280 fps out of 4" revolver length barrel

200 grain 1200 fps out of 4" revolver length barrel

I'd like a rifle in .357 to give me a battery with my .357 magnum revolvers, but I prefer a rifle that can fire the Cor Bon loads. Anyone know if the Marlins can take the abuse shelled out by hot .357 magnum loads?

Ron L

I've shot some pretty hot loads through my Marlin and it hasn't flinched, but keep in mind that manufactured and handloads are all within specs. I think that as long as pressures are kept to spec you should be OK. So far, I've tried the Federal 170 hunting loads, the Cor Bons, and some handloaded 170 stuff (JSP and hard cast) and things have seemed OK.

CZ_

^Thanks for the feedback. I plan to get the 18.5" barrel Marlin .357 down the road. Anyone know what kind of ballistics the Cor Bon hunting loads get out of an 18 inch barrel? I bet they are pretty impressive from the longer barrel?

BTY, the only reason I'm not getting the 16.5" barrel is the darn porting. I do NOT like ported guns, and the shorter barrel only comes with ports. :(

The Marlin is a very nice rifle. I am sure you would be happy with one. I have not shot my very much, but I am not worried about it holding up. I don't think the average Joe could afford enough Cor-Bons to shoot it loose.

K

KilgorII

Full power Jacketed loads run about like this from your 18" barrel:

125 gr - 2,100 fps
158 gr - 1,800 fps
180 gr - 1,500 fps

Hardcast can be pushed even faster.

Weak .357's and .38 specials will not pick up as much. As seen above lighter magnum bullets can pick up more speed because they have more powder to utilize the extra barrel.

These are only guidelines though and will vary between loadings.

Hope this helps,

Kilgor

CZ_

^Thanks for the estimates.

What do you gentlemen think the 200 grain Cor Bon can do out of an 18" barrel? Around 1350 fps? I like heavier bullets, and the 200 grain would be a top candidate for my needs.

Ron L

Here's some numbers from my reloading manuals.

Sierra 158 grain, 8 grains Unique
Pistol 1070 fps
Rifle 1400 fps

Lyman 168 grain, 13.5 grains 2400
Pistol 1242 fps
Rifle 1715 fps

Hogdon H110 14.5 grains, 158 grain JHP
Pistol 1456 fps
Rifle 1645 fps

Sorry, nothing specifically on the Corbon.

K

KilgorII

Just a WAG on the Corbon 200 grain cast (that's a Cast Performance bullet BTW) but 1,400-1,600 fps depending on what powder they used.

Here's a thread that might interest you.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=40469&highlight=corbon+200+357+chrono+rifle

Also check out Paco Kelley's work on the .357 lever action at www.sixgunner.com Go into his archived work and pull up hunting guns, .357 heavy, .38 and .357 they are special, and just poke around. you'll find lot's of interesting stuff. :D

Kilgor

CZ_

You fellows sold me on a Marlin .357. I bought one today, which gives me a lever action carbine that can use the same ammo as my revolvers. It felt well made, yet it was light and compact enough to be brought into action quickly.

K

KilgorII

Great!

Let us know what you think after you shoot it some. ;)

Kilgor

jayhway

CZ_ ,

Did you buy your Marlin at Big 5 sports? They have the Marlins on sale for $299. I looked at one last night and I really liked it. Now, I must decide whether I want to get the Winchester for $279 or the Marlin for $299.

1911A1 fan

I have to agree with 444. The Marlin will be able to take far more cor-bons than your check book can. The one that we have tends to shoot 125 gr and less in patterns instead of groups. But it groups very well with 158s and bigger. My 12 year old took a 180 lb white-tail with it last year, her first and I am sure not her last with the little gun.

CZ_

Did you buy your Marlin at Big 5 sports? They have the Marlins on sale for $299. I looked at one last night and I really liked it. Now, I must decide whether I want to get the Winchester for $279 or the Marlin for $299.

That is EXACTLY where I bought it.

I would advise AGAINST the Winchester if you intend to shoot pistol ammo. The Winchesters have a hard time feeding pistol ammo, IME. They do feed .30-30 well though.

The Marlins OTOH will feed pistol OR rifle rounds fine. Pay the extra $20 for a Marlin, you will NOT regret it IMO.

K

KilgorII

My Winchester .44 feeds great. So does my Marlin .357.

It depends on what's important to you.

The Marlin is well made and nice an tight. It feels great when cycling it. But it's also heavier and they put too thick of a forestock on it.

The Winchester is well made, but maybe not as good as the Marlin. The action has more "wiggle" to it, but it's also a much lighter, slimmer, and carry friendly gun.

Either works. Buy the one you want based on which attributes you want. They'll both be accurate enough and if they don't feed well then either company will stand behind them.

FWIW, there was a rash of Marlin 1894P's (.44 magnum) that wouldn't feed worth poo about a year and a half ago.

Kilgor