Marlin 357 magnum or 223 as second rifle for youth?

Deja vu

my oldest boy will be turning 10 next summer. He has been shooting a 22 and a 17HMR for about 3 years now. He has been very good at plinking and taking ground squirls.

I would like to start taking him Coyote hunting eventually. I have a Marlin 357 magnum lever action rifle that I enjoy shooting and I am wondering if you think that would be a good next step rifle for him? The ammo is still pretty inexpensive so that is a plus!

the other option is my 223, it is a bit more heavy cause it has a longer barrel but I still enjoy it as well. This gun is actually the wifes gun but she would not care if he used it (a lot)

Last edited:

l98ster

Im going to vote for the 357 marlin. i have one and its the most fun rifle I own. start with some 38's, and then move to the 357. He will love it!!!

-George

BIG P

IMO both are a good choice for the boy.THE 223 might be a little better for
yotes but both are fun guns for target or hunting. YA'LL have fun its great
to hear we have young shooters comming.:D

bigghoss

if you already own both why not let him try both? if you were buying a new rifle for him I'd say .223 but if you have them already let him give them a whirl and see which one he is better with.

Deja vu

Of course I will let him try both, I guess its more of a question of what you think would be better for a kid.

I am thinking the 357 only because it is much easier to carry and the ammo is less expensive (at least in my area) and the stock is a bit bigger on the 223 (may be a little too big for a youth)

that said if he likes the 223 I would not mind buying the ammo at the higher price if it keeps him interested in the sport.

p.s. I think I need to start thinking about a small shot gun for him.

Last edited:

BfloBill

A Marlin handles great, if you think the stock on the .223 may be a little big for him yet I would go with the .357 until he grows a bit more.