Marlin 336W question

Sneevil

c336w_gun.gif

I just picked up this rifle from WalMart (an experience in itself), and I really like the way it looks, points and handles. But I wonder about the 2 piece firing pin setup.

The rear firing pin is a short, fat piece of metal that sits at an angle in the notch cut in the bolt. The notch, I believe, is intended to receive the locking block which secures the bolt when the rifle is in battery. When you work the action to chamber a round, the rear firing pin protrudes from the rear of the bolt, exposing itself to the hit of the hammer. However, if you gently lower the hammer, the firing pin moves and becomes flush with the bolt. Does this mean that if you have lowered the hammer on a chambered round, and then re-cock the hammer without working the action, that the rifle will not fire? I'll find out tomorrow at the range, but the entire setup seems somewhat funky to me.

Also, what secures the bolt during firing? Only the locking block?

RugerNo3

Let's just say that it works if you have the lever squeezed tight to the action, then that little block can hit the firing pin. Yes the locking block is what keeps the rifleman from wearing the bolt in the eye. A very efficient system.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Sneevil,

That two piece firing pin prevents the rifle from firing unless the locking block is both present and fully up in the locked position. Once the bolt is locked, the firing pin is free to move forward, so if you try to lower the hammer on a live round, and your thumb slips, the rifle will fire. Most hunters with older Marlins (and similar Winchesters) carried the rifles with the hammer in the half cock notch, which is very deep and effectively keeps the rifle from firing if the trigger is pulled or moved. New Marlins have a manual safety that will prevent hammer fall when engaged; this is more positive than the half cock notch.

Jim

Sneevil

Ok. I'm back from the range and now I understand how it works. Not exactly the range, but a place in the Los Padres forest in the mountains above Santa Barbara, set aside for shooting. (While I was there, a chick wearing BDU's drove up in a white Coupe de Ville. Interesting.....)

Anyway, bottom line is...I love this rifle! I answered my firing pin question above. When a round is chambered, the rear firing pin continues to protrude from the bolt. Jim, I understand your comment regarding the safety and the half cock notch. I am accustomed to lowering the hammer on a chambered round on my Browning Hi Power, and haven't had an AD yet........nonetheless, it is probably not prudent to do the same with this rifle. If the rear firing pin is protruding from the bolt, it means that the front firing pin is resting on the primer. Much better to get in the habit of using the cross bolt safety before lowering the hammer to half cock.