Marlin 336M

treeprof

Does anybody know what the bronze-colored coating on the inner reciever side-walls and some other reciever parts on the new 336M is? I didn't notice it when I bought mine at a show last weekend, and I'm curious. I'm picking up the box and manual from the dealer tonite and I hope something is abt it is lurking in there, but everyone I've asked, including the Marlin rep is clueless. Marlin's techs are on vacation til next week, so I guess I'll have to wait if I can't get some info here. My metallurgist wife has put my fears of some kind of oxidation or defect to rest, but she doesn't know guns, I don't know metals, and this is the first time I've seen this on a stainless gun. Thanks.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Not positive but my guess would be some sort of protective coating. Whether it is meant to be permanent or just for shipping though I don't know. If it comes off easily I would imagine that it was a temprary coating to protect from machine work at the factory.

treeprof

Yeah, that was my guess, and it looks to be permanent. Some had spilled/sprayed over to the borders of the loading gate and ejector port that was a bit unsightly, and it took a good bit of effort to remove, incl. a couple strokes with 000 Steel wool. I will leave the rest. Thanks.

Conan

Sometimes stainless will discolor this way during heat treating/tempering, and needs to be polished off for best appearance. That may be what you're seeing. I've worked as a toolmaker and metallurgist, and it's rare for a stainless blank to come back from the furnace looking like it did going in! Ask your mealllurgist wife what she thinks about this theory.

treeprof

Conan - Thanks much for your insights. I think that heat treating certainly may be part of the answer (that was also suggested by my toolmaker father over the phone), though some of the coating scrapes off like it was varnish instead, and some doesn't. The wife wants to put some scrapings under the SEM at work, but I don't want to go that far yet. It may be a couple of things, and I hope Marlin can clear it up. I've decided not to shoot it until I get clarification, but it really is a nice looking rifle. As my name implies, I'm more familar with wood than metal, and the walnut stock on my particular gun is a beaut, tho I know people in other threads have lamented the unavailability of a synthetic.

Alfadog

Treeprof, congrats on a great rifle. I handled one at a gun shop a few weekends ago and that 336M is a beauty.

For those who want to ugly up this rifle with a synthetic stock, Ramline makes a pretty inexpensive one. The new checkered Marlin stocks are so nice that if you changed it out for synthetic, you could probably sell the original to the owner of an older Marlin and recover most of the cost of the synthetic.

------------------
Alfadog
NRA Life Member

"DO NOT TAKE COUNSEL OF YOUR FEARS."
--G. S. Patton, Jr., Lt. Gen., USA, 6 March 1944