Marlin 336 rifles

336C and 336SS are the top of the line with walnut stocks------the A and W models use hardwood stocks----also there is a difference in the forends with one having a metal cap and the other has the same style of the higher grades-----also---I believe one has a straight stock and the other has a pistol grip stock.

The SS is also made with stainless steel and nickel plating on some parts.

ScottsGT

Ditto...
And the W has a gold plated trigger. Pick your poison, they're all just as fun. Picked up my first last month, and just got to shoot it last weekend. I'm addicted!
Edit: The higher end models also have a hooded front sight? I think.

gonziii

Thanks for the replies! Seen a W in Walmart for $296. Seems like they are had to beat for the price! I am going to have to add them to my wish list, which just keeps on growing. Now if only I had the money to make my dreams come true!

sparkysteve

336c

I've got a Marlin 336C it has the gold trigger too. Mine is in .35 Rem. I'ts my deer drive gun. I've found it lacks in the knockdown power department. And since got a .30-06 for deer hunting. But I still shoot it quite a bit. There's just something cool about the "old school" cowboy style lever guns.

ScottsGT

336c

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a Marlin 336C it has the gold trigger too. Mine is in .35 Rem. I'ts my deer drive gun. I've found it lacks in the knockdown power department. And since got a .30-06 for deer hunting. But I still shoot it quite a bit. There's just something cool about the "old school" cowboy style lever guns.

A "C" with a gold trigger? how old is it? Sure it's not a "W"? I'd hate to think I passed on a good deal on a C because I thought it was a W since I saw the gold trigger. I guess I'll have to start looking closer at the pawn shops.

ATCHunter

My dad has a 336SC, I believe it is. He bought his many years ago, probably 60's or 70's. But it is the same as the current model 336C, and his has the gold trigger and walnut stock. The model name of the 336C has changed a few times over the years. My dad's is a 336SC, I know it was changed to 336CS, and now it is called the 336C. The current 336C does not have a gold trigger, and neither did the 336CS, but the current 336W does have the gold trigger. So unless it is an old model of the current 336C, the gold trigger means it is the 336W. So don't feel like you missed a good deal on a 336C unless it was an old rifle.

Harley Quinn

It is 'not all that glitters is gold'..

All the Marlins are good some are just fancier. I have an old 336 in 35 Rem.
Good gun, shoots where you aim and the 150 yds is still its distance. :p
Ought or is it aught six? It was the demise of numerous Cartridge's, still is.

But not the 35 Remington, thank you very much...Mild recoil fast second and third shot and if you are not out to far a real killer.IMHO...:D
If you are a reloader (I am) It can be extra sweet. Hmmm tasty.

Harley

ScottsGT

There was a great deal locally on a 336 in .35 Rem., but I stayed away due to the fact that I never see .35 Rem. at Wally-World or any other discount places. Advertised as a 25 year old rifle with scope for $250 obo.

ironhat

I also have the 336, bought in 1975 for $75 at a discount department store and it has the gold trigger. I thought it was a 'C' until I read all your posts, now I have to go home and check. At any rate, in that era Winchester and Marlin were making some low-end pieces for the discount trade and my stock is horrible - ugly walnut, very rough in front of the barrel band (almost looks like it was never touched after it was roughed out) and the finish is uneven. Given the downsides of the finish the workings are top-notch and it's a pleasure to carry and to shoot as well. I'm pondering whether I should re-finish it for the grandkids or leave it carry-worn the way Pap (me) used it. Just my two cents.
Later,
Chiz

wyrdone

I have the predecessor the Marlin 30A that is blued w/ gold trigger. Walnut stock as well. Bought in our local pawn shop that had roughly 50-75 Marlin & Winchester lever guns. Got mine from the guy with a bit of bargaining with a Leupold 3-9x40 for $240.

Harley Quinn

Ironhat leave it be then they will use it also.

It is a great rifle in 35 Rem. Much better than all the new 357's and 44's and 30-30's ( I know it is old also).

The 35 can be loaded with the 357 pistol rounds and really be explosive and then you can get up into the 200+ grain.

ScottsGt
That is a steal try and find it and buy it if you can, scope is something I would replace with a rear Ghost ring sight. Then put the scope on something else.

Harley

gonziii

How much does a C typically go for? I would worry more about function over style, but if it's not much more it might as well shoot and look good :)

Harley Quinn

Marlin web site will tell you.

gonzii,
You can see on the web and different locations are selling for different price's
Google it and then you will have 20 answers.

Harley:D

TPAW

sparkysteve says

I've got a Marlin 336C it has the gold trigger too. Mine is in .35 Rem. I'ts my deer drive gun. I've found it lacks in the knockdown power department. And since got a .30-06 for deer hunting.

Wow! that's the first time I ever heard of someone saying that! I don't have a .35, but those that do say it's the ideal caliber for deer under 100 yards along with the .44 Mag and 30.30!