Marlin 336 recoil

dyl

How is the recoil of a Marlin 336 in 30-30 in comparison to:

12 gauge target loads, turkey loads
50 cal ML with 80 or 100 grains Pyrodex
AK variant

Tell me how the recoil feels using factory loads with detail if you can please. Is this a potential plinker gun? How many do you typically shoot at a time?

I love what I'm hearing about the accuracy but I don't know if this would make a good plinker too. For example: I find shooting just about anything through my shotgun unpleasant - so for now it's just a hunting tool. I didn't ask on the Marlin forums because with all the die-hard Marlin fans I'd hear claims that the recoil restores hair loss and cleanses your colon at the same time.

I did try the search function here in TFL and there are 2 threads - one where recoil was compared to an SKS and to 12 gauge slugs. The reports varied a lot in my opinion.

Thank you.

Jevyod

We used to have a 30-30 when I was growing up, and I did some shooting with that. I can only compare to what other guns I shot; the recoil was definately less on a 30-30 than a 12 guage with turkey loads; I would say fairly comparable to a 12 with light target loads. I also shoot a 260 rem, and I would say very comparable to that.

PetahW

.30-30 & AK rounds have a distinctive rifle "snap", the AK rounds less so due to the attenuation from bleeding off the gas required for rifle operation.

The 12ga & ML rounds give more of a push than a snap, although 12ga Turkey & 100gr Pdx loads can be quite heavy on both ends of the gun.

Since there's .30-30's and then there's .30-30's - meaning several differently-designed rifles have been so chambered over the years, felt recoil would depend upon:

1) Stock design (drop, LOP, etc)
2) Rifle weight (see Newton's Laws)
3) Shooter's ergonomics (physical size & shapes)
4) Shooter's ability & shooting form/style

To someone new to shooting, a .30-30 with an older-style, poorly-designed stock with a lot of drop will "kick" like a mule; but to a seasoned shooter, it would be just another mild deer rifle.

Although Marlin 336's, and their stock design, have been around sine 1948, and Marlins in .30-30 since the Model 1893 in 1894, the 336's have a pretty decently-designed stock, from both the point of handling & recoil.

For the recoil-sensitive, it's an E-Z job to add a recoil pad to the stock.

Doyle

30-30 is quite tolerable - about like a .243 rifle.

I'll say "sort of" to that. In mathematical terms of recoil energy and recoil velocity, you are correct. However, felt recoil (what really counts) isn't quite so simple. Since most 30-30s are out of lever-action type rifles, felt recoil of a 30-30 can be quite nasty. The pistol-gripped Marlins aren't nearly as bad for felt recoil as the straight-gripped Winchester '94s.

jimbob86

The pistol-gripped Marlins aren't nearly as bad for felt recoil as the straight-gripped Winchester '94s.

Most of the Marlins I've run across have a heavier barrel contour, stouter stock profile, and just generally weigh more than their Winchester counterparts, as well.

More mass=less percieved recoil, all else bing equal, which it rarely is.

Eldest's Marlin 30A weighs around 8 pounds.

chris in va

I shot my dad's 30-30 when I visited in Dallas. It was harder than expected, probably like a 12ga with heavy birdshot. My CZ carbine in x39 is a lot more pleasant. I'd say my AK variant had about half the recoil.

bamaranger

kick

A 12ga magnum "turkey load" ie a 2.75" mag, 3"mag or heaven forbid a 3.5" mag kicks a bunch. Poor stock fit and light guns make it even worse. No comparison to a .30-30.

I shot traditional muzzle loaders for a while and felt like a 100 gr charge of BP and a heavy conical slug like the 370 gr Maxi kicked too. Part of that was the stock fit of the Hawken type rifles I was using.

An AK variant in x39mm seems pretty mild to me.

Closest comparison to what you've listed might be the 12 ga target load.

RockyMtnDan

My experience with a Marlin 336 is that the lower weight bullets have a very managable recoil but 170 grain loads pack quite a punch. Remington make some reduced recoil 125 Gr. rounds that are very mild.

jimbob86

I'd say my AK variant had about half the recoil.

Your AK is using some of the recoil energy to cycle the bolt, and is pushing a lighter bullet at about the same speed, with less propellant ..... less gun generally = less recoil.

btmj

My wifes Marlin 336C (20 inch bbl, about 7.5 lb) has a little more recoil than my weatherby 243 Win (24 inch bbl, about 9 lb with scope). This is comparing 150 gr 30-30 to 100 gr 243. The heavy weatherby also has a nice recoil pad, and the 336 does not. I would bet that if the 336C had a recoil pad and a 16 oz scope on it, it would not kick any harder than the 243.

The 336C has less recoil than my buddies 308, which is also a 9 lb gun. 308 is certainly a step up from 30-30 in terms of recoil.

I would say the 336 is equivalent to a 20 gage shooting trap/skeet loads. It is nowhere near a 12 gage shooting goose loads or slugs. The last time I shot a heavy slug out of my lightweight 12 gage pump, It did not feel that much different than a 375 H&H.

Bottom line, a 30-30 is very manageable recoil. a poorly fitted stock or a bad stock design can make any centerfire rifle harsh.

tahunua001

in my experience the kick on a 336 is about equal to a 50 cal ML with 90 grains and round ball but it's a different kind of kick altogether. depending on your AK setup I would say its similar but with the huge difference between the feel of a wire stock, wood stock and polymer stock it is difficult to express.

if your AK has a wood stock or wire stock then I would say the 336 kicks less, if it is a plastic black wonder then it will kick about the same.

dyl

Unfortunately I don't have an AK variant - I only shot one on a single range trip and I wish I could remember how it felt more for reference.

I usually shoot my muzzleloader with 80 grains and a 230 grain sabot I think - XTP. It's not the most fun I'll tell you. TC Impact, polymer stock. My 870 is also synthetic stocked and I didn't mention slugs because that sensation is beyond a level I can calmly say "a little more or a little less than" it just hurts.

I'm sorry to ask you to describe something so subjective. You've given helpful descriptions, thank you.

How about this: how many rounds until it starts to get uncomfortable? (For your shoulder, not your wallet)

Chettt

Lever actions are perfect guns. I'd rather cycle snap caps in my Winchester 94 than shoot most other guns. Recoil is firm but won't make you flinch. It's just perfect.