Marlin 336 lever problem

hivel37

I apologize beforehand if this has been covered, but can't find this specific problem/answer by searching.

The finger lever plunger is not engaging the trigger guard plate latch pin on my 336. Consequently the lever will not stay in place without pulling it tight with the trigger hand.

The finger lever has a "pad" that presses against the trigger safety block as the lever is closed. Could this be filed down so the latch pin and plunger could match better?

The ejector is gone, so if any other parts are need I can include them in this order.

Thanks, guys.

steve1589

Levers on Marlin 336s sometime get bent. The lever can be bent back to the proper position or you can buy a new lever. Are you sure the breech bolt is closing and locking up? A bent lever can also cause miss fires. If the lever is not pushing the locking block all the way up it does not line the two piece firing pin up properly. The result is a miss fire. Another thing to look at is the extractor on the breech bolt. If the round part has been over sprung it will drag on the receiver making it hard to close. There is a pin underneath that holds the front firing pin in place. If this pin is not properly centered or is a bit too long it will push the extractor up also.

hivel37

Slopemeno, I think the plunger is not going past the pin enough to catch. I hate to mess something up, but if the raised area on the lever behind the trigger is lightly filed, it may allow the lever to close enough to catch the pin.

I should add this a straight stock model. The lever on a pistol grip model may not have this "pad" I'm referring to.

Thanks for the replies. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.