Marlin 336 Action Wrench...

FrankenMauser

The internet is full of people claiming to be gunsmiths, saying they use a 24" or 36" adjustable wrench for Marlin 336, Marlin 1895, and Savage 99 actions, because it works great (with a blocked action) and doesn't require the setup time of a standard action wrench.

Are there any gunsmiths here that actually use an adjustable wrench on Marlin actions?

Scorch

You know, I am actually scared to hear the answers on this one. I don't, but I bet there are some who do!

Gunplummer

I milled out my own wrench. Take a look how thin the side walls are on a 99. Why not go all the way and use a pipe wrench with grippers so it doesn't slip?

g.willikers

You mean using the correct tool, instead of just chucking that action in a large vise?
Preferably one with those nice, grippy jaws?
What's this world coming to - is there no ingenuity left?

You joke but:

Last week my brother asked me if I was ever going to build this rifle, and I told him now was as good a time as any. First I had to get the barrel off. Since I wasn't too concerned about saving the 30-30 barrel (and my brother suggested removing it with any means necessary), I clamped the receiver in a large vise between two 1/2" steel plates, and used Mr. Pipewrench to remove the barrel. I initially tried to remove the barrel without causing any damage, but I don't own a barrel vise, and it was on there pretty tight after 60 years of use. NOTE- I checked the barrel vises in Brownell's, and I think I have enough chunks of steel laying around to build one, which will be a future project.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/th...oday-was-the-start-of-the-Marlin-336A-project

FrankenMauser

That's what I expected, but I had to ask.
I have a 336 project on the table right now, that I've been researching some finish options for, and it was just bugging me that I kept running across all of these "gunsmiths" using BFWs as action wrenches. I just couldn't see any real gunsmith skipping their action wrench, in favor of a floppy-jawed adjustable wrench.

semi_problomatic,
I have removed a barrel with a pipe wrench, as well (from my namesake "Frankenstein" Mauser). But... I had absolutely no plans to save it. I use it as a breaker bar/pry bar in the shop, now. ;)
I wouldn't have used a pipe wrench on the barrel you pulled, but I won't criticize you for it, either.

*sigh*

I gotta figure out the quotes thing. *I* didn't use a pipe wrench. The guy in the link I posted did. I just copied a paragraph and posted the link it came from.

Clark

attachment.php

attachment.php

I KNOW I have used a big Crescent wrench on a Sav 99, but a search does not find a pic.

But I do see pics of me using a wrench on a Colt revolver and a Uberti 1885.

When doing something this Mickey Mouse, duck tape adds a nice touch.