Marlin 30A repair

NYPD13

Just replaced the Loading Spring and its retaining screw as the old ones kept backing out and jammed the cartridge carrier in the upward position preventing ejection of the spent cartridge. It was a relatively simple repair and allowed the oppurtunity to polish some of the internals and smoothen things up a bit.

My question, is this a common repair as I've only put roughly 300 rounds through it (can't speak for the original owner)? This is my deer rifle and wouldn't want the loading gate to jam the action on a future hunt. Anyone have a similiar experience?

g.willikers

Yes, it seems to be enough of a common problem that some folks carry a small screw driver for it.
One fellow, who depends on his similar rifle, carries a screw driver in a special hole in the stock.

NYPD13

Good to know it will most likely happen again. I assumed the screw or loading gate spring were stripped so I replaced the parts (only cost a few dollars).
Will be sure to have to correct size screw driver close at hand and check it periodically.

g.willikers

Some folks use a very little blue locktite on the screw.
Just be careful when cleaning the gun.
Solvents will melt the loctite and it can run into places not recommended for it.
I'd druther just tighten it occasionally.

PetahW

YMMV.

While I've occasionally made a super cheap buy of a "broken" Marlin 336 (like $100) that "kept jamming" :p , and simply had to replace a tired loading gate whose "spring" lost it's "sprung" to "fix" it, I've never actually had one come loose on it's own.