Marlin 308 Express

Lurch37

So, while at my LGS, and before I even got down to look at the Browning BL-22 I posted about earlier, I spotted a Marlin 336 sitting in the rack. I naturally thought it was just a 30/30 but then saw the tag which had 308 Marlin Express on it. It even has a Leupold 1.5x3 scope on it, which I personally loathe on a lever gun but that's just me.

Anyways, the price is right and it's in really nice shape so now I'm debating on it or the little Browning. Well, actually there was a Smith 610 sitting close by but that's another topic altogether.

I realize that finding loaded ammo, (for a decent price), would be the hard part although I've been able to find decently priced brass, dies, etc. and I enjoy reloading.

So once again I'm asking for any input on the rifle and caliber from you that have/had them and shot them. BTW, it is a JM stamped rifle. Thank you.

Last edited:

Smoke & Recoil

I'm sure that you'll find many more 336's than a BL-22, you can get used to the 30 degree lever travel real quick. My granddaughters...10 and 12 really enjoy the BL-22. Their main query are eggs at 30 yards, but, as you despise, it is scoped.

The Marlin and Browning are running near the same in price.

Lurch37

I'm sure that you'll find many more 336's than a BL-22

I'm sure your correct about that, and the prices are very similar as you say. My only thought was the Marlin is chambered in a not so mainstream caliber and I probably won't see one of those again in a long time.

mikejonestkd

I'd be hesitant to buy one in 308 ME, since so many marlin 336s are out there in 30-30
brass for the 308 Me seems to be listed on several sites, although they are out of stock at the moment. Still, its a dead cartridge compared to almost all other lever gun chamberings

Lurch37

Still, its a dead cartridge compared to almost all other lever gun chamberings

[QUOTE It failed for a reason.][/QUOTE]

I realize it's a not so popular and/or available cartridge and I truly understand where you guys are coming from, but I guess that's what makes it a tad bit more interesting to me.

I put the Marlin 308MX in the same class as my Winchester in 25-20 and in a close second place, my Henry in 327 Federal Magnum.

FrankenMauser

.308 MX can be loaded using trimmed .307 Win brass and standard bullets.
It is the reason why Hornady started offering .307 Win -- .308 MX is based on it.

"Doesn't do much more than .30-30"
Yea, just like .30-06 doesn't do much more than 7.62x51 Nato. :rolleyes:
It falls short of .307 Win, but it is still more than .30-30.

Although I have a 336 chambered for .307 Win and like the cartridge, .308 MX doesn't hold up to the former. It was designed around the 160 gr FTX (a version unique to the .308 MX, at that) - a long bullet for lever gun cartridges - which means reduced case capacity and lower muzzle velocities.

In addition, Marlin 336s in .308 MX and .338 MX have some unique action parts. If they break, you may have a serious hunt when trying to track down replacement parts. (Or if they wear prematurely - a notable issue with the bad heat treating in late Marlins and then Remlins through about 2015/2016.)

I would not buy a .308 MX unless I planned to set back the barrel and ream it to .307 Win, OR I just wanted the action for something else.
336 MX actions, like .450 Marlin 1895s, have V threads for barrel attachment, rather than the classic square threads that Marlin started with in the 1880s. The shallower V threads result in a stronger receiver.
So, they make good candidates for conversion to certain other cartridges, but are also not compatible with standard barrels.

It isn't just the cartridge that is obsolete. The unique receiver and barrel are red-headed step children, as well.