Marlin 2000L

biganimal

I own the marlin 2000 not the 2000L the only difference I can see is the L has a laminated stock while mine is blue plastic .
mine shoots very tiny groups and I use it every winter in the indoor league and I do pretty well with it. It shoots as well as my winchester 52 and feels a tad lighter near the end of a match...

ronin308

We use these for the beginners in our rifle and pistol club. They're excellent buys for the money. They have nice triggers and good ergonomics. Some people actually prefer them over the Anschutz rifles! There's only one gripe I have with the ones we have is that the rear sight sometimes comes loose from the rifle mid-shooting. You can't really Loctite it because you have to move your sight around when you change positions. So you have to keep an eye on it.

Dan

Storm Shadow

I got to shoot one of these during a summer biathlon competition. It's a nice solid rifle, but I concur about the sights because a number of people had problems with them during the race, me included. I just thought my accuracy went to pot because of my pounding pulse, but it was determined after the race that a couple of the rifle sights got misaligned mid-race.

No way I would say they are near an Anschutz, though. Some pros let me shoot theirs and it was a world of difference. Depending on what you're going to use it for, the biathlon/magazine kit will cost you extra. I've seen the base gun at $450, so I'd say your quote would be a good one if it came with the kit installed.

You might check out this place:
http://www.nealjguns.com/index.html

They have a used Marlin for sale as well as beginner Anschutz rifle outfitted biathlon style. The prices are comparable and it seems like a good deal although I have never dealt with the place myself.

ronin308

I've shot Anschutz rifles a lot and I can say that they're well worth the investment. However, for a competition ready beginner rifle the Marlin has a lot going for it. If you're really serious, or already a great shot :)I'd save for an Anschutz or a Walther. You might outgrow the Marlin and want a better rifle faster than you think.

Dan

Hays

Thanks for the information. I've shot pistols for several years, but rifle shooting is new to me. On one hand, I don't want to buy a gun that I may outgrow quickly, but on the other hand, I'd rather not spend a ton of money until I really know if I like it or not. I have a buddy that has some nice target rifles in various calibers. I should probably spend some time with him at the range to see if I catch the fever.

I do have a couple of follow-up questions about this particular rifle:

Can the sights be replaced with Anschutz sights? I was also wondering if the rail would accept Anschutz accessories.

Thanks again for you help.

USMCsilver

As much as I hate to say it, this looks better than the Ruger 10/22T.

2000L.jpg