Marlin 1894P versus standard 1894?

jtduncan

I'm looking for a 44 mag carbine primarily for target shooting at 80-120 yards.

BUT I will be taking it out for deer hunting, hog hunting, and perhaps elk hunting here in Wahsington State.

I shoot a lot of 44 mag in a Ruger Redhawk so this would be for longer shots outside the revolver's reach.

I am also an avid reloader. So I can light load for target shooting all of the way up to hunting velocities.

I understand that the 1894P is a real sweet shooter with a great recoil pad beefed up and the porting helps with the muzzle flip.

But I don't really want to lose the 150 fps from the shorter barrel and the porting in the 1894P.

Go with the 20" standard 1894 or the shorter barreled 16.25" ported 1984P?

J

Jeff, CA

Ports not necessary with .44 mag

Your choice boils down to 1) a light-recoiling rifle, or 2) a loud, light-recoiling rifle with less muzzle velocity.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

ohen cepel

I don't really see the need for the ports either, at least not on a .44 rifle.
For what you're going to use it for I think the longer barrel would be the way to go.
Not sure, but you may also gain a round in the tube with the longer barrel.

J.T.King

JT to jt...

You already know my opinion... NO PORTING!

Especially with hunting rounds which tend to be a bit hotter. You can get powder blow-back, and if you happen to shoot in a dark blind or under lots of trees you will get a nice flash through the ports.

Also, the higher velocity of the 44mag will let you get better use out of he longer barrel. A 20" barrel is not all that long, and the longer sight picture (if shooting w/o scope) plus the higher barrel weight will give you better accuracy and recoil recovery anyhow.

A 20" marlin is still a very handy gun.

JT

Tom Matiska

The 1894 is my weapon of choice when I want to be polite. The 44 out of an unported 20" barrel doesn't rattle the farmer's windows or scare the milk out of his cows. If you need a "polite" rifle in your arsenal the standard 1894 is the way to go.

Tom