Marlin 1894 Qs

P-990

I've finally decided to go ahead and get on getting one of these handy little short-rifles. The one I have in mind is a .44 Magnum model, with the pistol grip stock. It has the Ballard-cut rifling instead of Microgroove.

So far all I can come up with as negatives against these rifles is that: A) They don't have enough twist-rate to always stabilize heavier .44 slugs (no big deal, ammo is going to be compatible with my 629-1 and I don't really want to drive anything bigger than about a 260-280gr bullet anyway) and B) There's that infernal hammer-block safety. I can work around B, A is not a problem in my mind.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

FWIW, I've already handled the rifle I have in mind and know the trigger needs a Wild West Guns kit. Not sure what I'm going to do with the sights yet, other than try the factory buckhorns first.

Bullet94

“Is there anything else I should be aware of?”

Only that their a lot of fun to shoot. Mines an 1894SS I put a set of William’s fire sights on mine (the ones with the fiber optic front sight). Sure can see the front sight better. The rear sight I mounted in the forward holes in the receiver (now it’s not in the way of the hammer at all). If you going to use your Marlin for hunting the Wild West sights would probably be better.

P-990

Well, I was hoping it would be fun to shoot, honestly. I can load straight-walled pistol rounds with far greater ease, speed and for lower cost than "regular" rifle rounds.

My interest it the 1894 is mainly as a 50-100 yard plinker and brush gun which is short, light, handy and has a relatively large bore. The fact that I could take a handgun and rifle to the range without worrying about forgetting ammo for one or the other is a bonus.

I used to have a little Ruger 96/44, which was fun, but not the Marlin I really wanted in the first place. What I remember about the Ruger was its low weight, short lever throw, good 3-shot accuracy with 240gr Hornday XTPs and the buttstock which was way too short for me and punch my collarbone with every other round. I do remember that it was not particularly pleasant to shoot too many full-power rounds for just this reason. My .260 Mountain Rifle is far more civilized to shoot than that little Ruger! :mad:

impact

If you ever want to shoot lead you need to have a gun with Ballard rifling. The Mirco Grove works good with jacketed ammo but not lead. I have a 1894 in 45 Colt. Great gun!

woodsloafer

Had one with the 16" barrel and ported. Didn't feel the rifle's recoil was bad at all, I shot 240 grain hot loads. Besides the porting, I didn't care for the ventilated recoil pad, ordered a pre-fit from Brownell's but it didn't quite fit (was impressed with Brownell's...they not only refunded the pad price but also my return shipping). Liked it as I literally had a bucket of 44 mag reloads for my pistol, was a fun plinker with the power for hunting game if I chose. One of those guns I sold and then found myself looking for another. Jerry