Marlin 1894 .44 magnum question

Deaf Smith

Spied a Marlin 1894 .44 magnum levergun. No safety.

Well the question is, at the front of the bolt I see burrs on both the frame and the bolt. They are on the exterior. Why are they there?

Looks like someone used a knife or such to pry open the bolt. Surely this cannot be true?

They had it for $550 (no I didn't buy it cause of those burrs.)

Just wondering.

Deaf

PatientWolf

If you are describing the tiny scallops all along the edges where the bolt and receiver meet, they are on every one I've seen.

I assumed they were there to either eliminate a knife edge, reduce possible damage where two sharp edges meet (especially if there would be a possibility for the mating surfaces not to be perfectly co-planer) or to reduce friction. By strongest bet was the first.

Salmoneye

I have seen marred up 1894 receivers and bolts, and you are correct...It was more than likely done by someone trying to free up the bolt...

Look up the "Marlin Jam", and you may find your answer...Marlin calls it "Letting In Two"...

If I were looking at purchasing said gun, I would make sure I was allowed to cycle a number of different bullet types and lengths (make up ten dummy rounds of different styles) through that action before buying, and then due to the condition described I'd ask what their rock bottom is...

Minorcan

I think Salmoneye is on the right track. The "letting in two" syndrome is uncommon if the rifle is adjusted and timed properly but very frustration to the uninitiated. The best way to address it is to start disassembly and then properly time the rifle. Many novice users will try to force the jammed rounds out by using a big screwdriver as a pry bar. The easiest place to pry is the areas where you are describing damage. I would walk away from the rifle. The issue that caused the original jam is probably still there and there is no telling how often it occurred. There are better examples out there.

reinert

FWIW, I have a Marlin 1894 in .41 mag that's in pretty much pristine condition, built in 1987 (has the safety). It has no burrs of any kind whatsoever on the bolt, or the receiver. It runs silky smooth, with no issues. Hope this helps.