Marlin 1894 44 Mag Lever Gun

slow944

I was looking for a 44Mag lever action to go along with my DW 44Mag revolver. So I traded a Sig Souer P250 for this rifle. It was bought new in April and the seller decided he didn't want it any more. Took it to the range today and ran 15rds thru it at 25yds useing 240gr Magtek 44spl ammo. If I held an aim with the bullseye sitting on top of the front sight post it hit dead center with about an 1 1/2" group. To say the least I was very pleased with the way it shot. This is a Remlin and after all I'd heard about them I had my doubts about the trade. Also with the 44spl's there was very little recoil. I'll try and post pics later. So far I'm happy with the 44.

FrontSight

Sweeeet! I just bought a used one too a couple of weeks ago myself, it was 99.5%, just a couple of dings on the stock, but looks practically unfired.

Is still at my FFL while his smithy decreases round capacity (this locality sucks!!) so I have yet to fire it. Did you try .44 mag rounds out of it? And if so, how was the recoil with those?

Dave P

"This is a Remlin" What does that mean???

I love my Marlin Cowboy gun - lots of fun. But hard to load for accuracy, with that silly 38/1 twist rate!

slow944

Remington and Marlin=Remlin
I believe Remington bought Marlin a few years ago and they have had some quality issues. My rifle looks great and is very well built. I saw a used Ruger Bisley at my LGS in 44Mag.......HMMMMMMMMM.

Have not tried the 44Mag ammo yet but I do have some. Want to go to the 100yd range for that andsee how it shoots there.

Hawg

Recoil is less than a 30-30 with the magnums. I've had two. One made in the 70's that ran with anything you put in it and one made in the 90's that was fine with magnums but wouldn't feed specials very well unless you hand loaded to magnum oal.