Marlin 1892 and 32 S&W Long

olduser

I own a Marlin 1892 with a 24" barrel which I had relined and chambered in 32 S&W long. The original chambering of the gun was 32 Short and Long Rim Fire or with a center fire firing pin installed the 32 Short or Long Colt.

According to Wiki the original ballistics of the 32 Rim Fire Long was a 90 gr. bullet at 1,080 fps (24" barrel).
Again according to Wiki the ballistics of the 32 Long Colt is 790 fps with a 82 gr. bullet but no barrel length is specified. Before I had the work done I was able to chrono some 32 Long Colt with 82 gr. bullets. They gave 912 fps.
The action will not work with any cartridge longer than 1.20" so factory 32 S&W long ammo will not work. It is strictly a hand loading operation.

I have been working on loads for the gun using data shown in the Lyman no 49 reloading manual. All of the loads shown in this manual are for handguns.
My problem is accuracy and consistent velocity.

I have tried loads using Unique, HP38 and Bullseye starting at the minimum loads shown in the manual with a 78 gr. cast bullet from Rim Rock bullets. All of the starting loads gave poor accuracy and wide extreme spreads. In each case upping the powder load results in better accuracy and better consistency. I have increased each powder load until I reached a velocity of about 900 fps. The most promising load is 2.0 gr. of Bullseye which closely matches the velocity of the 32 Long Colt factory loads. Accuracy is about 3" at 25 yds. I would like to push up to the maximum load of 3.0 gr. of Bullseye but am hesitant because the action of this gun is not a strong design. There is no locking bolt. The only locking device is the lever extension. Published velocity in a 4" pistol for 3.0 grains of Bullseye and a 75 gr. bullet is 958 fps. I believe that 3.0 gr. of Bullseye and my 78 gr. bullet will probably reach 1000 fps or maybe 1,100 fps.

Another promising bullet is a 95 gr SWC from Penn Bullets. I have not worked with it much but if I pushed it to about 1,000 fps it would be closely duplicating the original ballistics of the 32 Long Rim Fire (90 gr. bullet at 1,080 fps).

OK, what are the opinions here?

Should I continue and push the 78 gr. bullet to the max of 3.0 gr. of Bullseye and see what I get?
How about the 95 gr. bullet pushed to about 1,000 fps?

The effects of the pressures I am seeing here are so low that most of the cases are smoked which means they are not being expanded enough to tightly seal the chamber. The original rim fire cases were copper and probably had no problem sealing with pressures generated. Of course the ones I am loading in 32 S&W Long are brass.
The 32 S&W Long has a reputation for fine accuracy in some pistols but I am not seeing it in my rifle.

ligonierbill

Yes, I would push those bullets a little faster. You are not "pushing the envelope". I load for a couple old revolvers, but I have had good results with HP-38, good velocity and decent Std.

Speer actually lists some slower powders for this round, and I worked up a load with AA#9 that was OK. Std was high in my little pistols, but a rifle might gain an advantage.

Speer also lists an odd load: their 60 gr GDHP meant for 32 ACP crimped just over the ogive. That worked and gave velocities near what I get from the 32 ACP.

All that said, it could be your rifle. Have you slugged the bore? Good luck with a very interesting rifle.

PS: Welcome the the forum!

Mike38

The 32 S&W Long has a reputation for fine accuracy in some pistols but I am not seeing it in my rifle.

Yes, the .32 S&W Long can be very accurate in a European target pistol. But, that's commonly done with full wadcutter bullets, at velocities just enough to cycle the bolt. I load .32 SWL with 98 grain swaged hollow base wadcutters over 1.5 grains of Winchester WST powder. I don't have a chronograph, but I'm guessing the speed is less than 700 fps.

olduser

Barrel slugs at 0.312. bullets are 0.313.
Worked with the 95 gr. SWC. 2.0 gr. HP38 969 fps, spread 69 fps, std 12. A very good improvement. Plan some accuracy testing this weekend.

45flaco

I might suggest a slower powder and a heavy bullet, since it's a rifle length barrel.
At 1.20" cartridge length, you might try the Lee 309-120, and 2.5-3.0 grains of either VN-350 or Hodgdon Longshot.
Three grains of VN-350 should put that 120 grain bullet either right at 1000 fps, or a little slower.
These loads were actually designed for a compact suppressed rifle, but they're very accurate in addition to being spooky quiet.
Don't use in a revolver. Pressures aren't bad, but you won't burn the powder in a 3 inch barrel.

Don Fischer

Have a 32 long in a mod 16 S&W. Load 90gr RN with 2.5grs Red Dot and 2.5gr Pistol Powder #6. Don't think you can get PP #6 today. Very accurate in my Smith. Fellow with the 96gr SWC, where did you find the mold? I like wad Cutter's and semi wad cutter's in my 38, like to have one for the 32 long.

JT-AR-MG42

My favorite .32 load is with 3.7 grains of Herco with a 110 gr. lead SWC.
988 fps from a 4" Colt PPS.
It is my most accurate load in a Smith 16-4 (at power) as well.
No smoked cases, but a very comfortable load that is not an ear splitter.

JT

ATCDoktor

I have a couple of Marlin M92’s chambered in 32 Colt and I can understand the emotion surrounding having one relined to 32 S&W as loading the heel based Bullets for the 32 Colt can be a bit of a pain.

Bullets, Dies, and data for these somewhat obsolete loads can be difficult to find and expensive when you do.

That said, the two M92’s chambered in 32 Colt I have are exceptionally accurate with my handloaded ammo featuring 88 grain cast heel based Bullets and 2.2 grains of Alliant Green Dot.

Velocity for this load in my rifles runs right at 1000 fps and as previously stated is very accurate.

5 rounds at 100 yards off the bench:

5 rounds at 50 yards offhand:

I use mine for for small game and it’s more than up to the task at iron sight ranges.

Reference your specific issue With accuracy, how much do you know about how the new liner was chambered?

Did whoever relined the barrel run the reamer in to the full length of a saami 32 S&W long or did they stop short at the cartridge overall length of 1.20” you mentioned?

If your liner is “long chambered” that could be an issue reference you achieving your desired leveL of accuracy.

olduser

I believe it is not short chambered. The cartridge lifter causes the restriction on OAL. I have been working with two bullets. The 78 gr. LRN from Rim Rock Bullets and a 95 gr. LSWC from Penn Bullets. If the chamber was short I do not believe the shoulder of the LSWC would chamber. The OAL of the loaded 78 gr. load is exactly 1.20". The OAL of the 95 gr. SWC is 1.18". I am going through different powders and hope I can get the 95 gr. bullet to shoot well. It should make a dandy hunting round.

ATCDoktor

Both of my M92’s have extremely long chambers but Just like you I have to keep the cartridge overall length at 1.20 inches for them to feed as well.

To give you an idea of how long/deep my chambers the round on the far right in this picture is a 32 S&W long case Converted to 32 Colt that is full length before trimming and it with the bullet seated will chamber in both my M92’s:

So, having a long/deep chamber can be an issue reference accuracy but that’s not always the case.

If the loads you working on now don’t get you where you want to be I’d try a bullet with a larger diameter.

I know you say that you barrel slugged at.312 and you’re using .313 bullets and usually .001 over is good but that’s not always the case.

My bores slug right at .311 and I’m using bullets that are .315 above the heel (.299) at the heel and I get very good accuracy and no leading in Bores with 40% corrosion/pitting.

Recovered Bullets show full rifling engraving the length of the bullet all the way through the heel.

If your most current loads don’t group well, try the fattest bullet you can get to chamber and see how that works.

olduser

Your rifles look great. Mine only has some original finish on the magazine tube. The rest of the gun just has a deep brown patina. I think i will order some more of the 95 gr. SWC. Penn offers a max of custom sizing of 0.314. Also I am going to see if I can recover some fired bullets and see what they look like.