Mark II takedown conversions

hknut

I know someone makes a takedown conversion to quick change/clean the Ruger Mark II pistols, I just can't find out who. I have been told that Tactical innovations did, I checked and no luck. I have tried 5 different searches here and on Google, no luck. Does anybody know of one? :confused:

darkgael

Kit

Pretty neat idea. Does it work/is it durable?
I remain of the idea that the Ruger MK. II is not that hard to take down - I had mine apart and back together multiple times yesterday while testing different upper/bolt/mainspring combinations. No big deal. Yet....that is an attractive little kit even to me.
Pete

madmag

I have had my MarkII since about 1957. I have never understood the deal about take down & re-assy. It is simple...at least if you know what to do.

varoadking

I have had my MarkII since about 1957. I have never understood the deal about take down & re-assy. It is simple...at least if you know what to do.

+1...

Learn how to use and care for your piece, and skip the useless garbage...IMHO...

hknut

In my case I have a 12" stainless barrel with a scope on it. I would like to be able to switch to a 4 1/2" Pac-lite barrel fast and easy.

darkgael

conversion

HKnut: The single thing that bothers me about that conversion kit is that I have to have an Allen wrench available to do it. That may never be a problem but I believe in "the fewer tools, the better". I don't need anything but a piece of wire or a screwdriver or knife blade to pop the Ruger mainspring.
I know that this conversion eliminates the need to remove /reinstall the maninspring but for all of that, I wonder how much faster it really is.
Pete

azsixshooter

The single thing that bothers me about that conversion kit is that I have to have an Allen wrench available to do it.

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this useless junk. The second thing was "FORTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!" :barf:

When I got my Mark II I disassembled/reassembled it several times until I could do it quickly and without having to consult the instructions. Now I can buy $45 worth of ammo ;)

hknut

I just don't want to have to tap the barrel off the lower with a hammer and screw up the scope. I heard that it takes a while for the reciever to loosen up, and not be so tight to remove the barrel.

varoadking

I just don't want to have to tap the barrel off the lower with a hammer and screw up the scope. I heard that it takes a while for the reciever to loosen up, and not be so tight to remove the barrel.

This kit does nothing to eliminate the need to tap the receiver off of the frame, and don't count on it loosening up so you don't have to do so...ever...

If you want to improve your Ruger - invest in a Volquartsen sear, trigger and extractor...

fallingrock71

Like varoadking said, you'll still have to tap the receiver off the frame.

I've owned a MKII 5.5 bull for about 2 whole weeks thanks to a co-worker who so graciously sold it to me for A HUNDRED BUCKS:) . I did lots of research and reading here and on various other forums and such. I had read all the horror stories and got really worried about taking the pistol apart. I even read about and considered one of these kits. In the end, I simply downloaded the manual from Ruger. Read the instructions a few times and did it. It wasn't rocket science. Heck, it really wasn't even model rocket science! I even thought about posting a new thread about how easy it really is because I can't help but wonder how many out there might pass up on such a great pistol because of the non-issue of reassembly.

OldShooter

Kit

It's another solution to a non-existent problem. I liked my MkII well enough as is that I bought another. I like not having to have tools around to take this thing down.

I like shooting my Browning Buckmark too, but it require an allen wrench and you have to disturb the sight.

hknut

I also realized this weekend that this kit wont work for me as the aimpoint rail system on the factory barrel now, covers the top of the reciever where I would have to use the allen wrench anyway.