manurhin PP .380 any good?

Viper99

Greetings,
Anyone owns one of these? tell me the good / bad and what a fair price would be in case is worth owning.
Regards

Pond James Pond

I can't advise you in the slightest except to say it looks gorgeous and stands as a reminder to me that if they ever relax the law here in condition 3 carry in semis, I will be buying an Astra A60 in a heartbeat!

GyMac

Never owned one, but I remember from way back when, that they are equal to the Walther in everything except name. Even sold under the Walther name at one point.

DA/SA Fan

I own a FEG version of the PP. Mine is chambered in .32. I really don't think I'd enjoy shooting it half as much if it were a .380.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Manurhin - Walther pistols are as good as those made in Germany, and (IMHO) better than those made in the U.S. for Interarms. (In fact, many "Walthers" marked "Made in W. Germany" were actually made by Manurhin in France.)

Prices seem to be all over the place, with a common price of around $700. The PP and PPK should bring more than the PPK/S.

Jim

Ibmikey

Manurhin licensed copies of the Walther pistols is all that was available after the war and every bit as well made as German pistols. Walther, before resuming production was having Manurhin make pistols that wore the Walther name. Production was continued even after Walther was on line until a conflict finally caused Walther to resind licensing. Manurhin continued to make the pistols even after the license was withdrawn for some period of time.

carguychris

jonnyc said:
Great pistol, but keep a ready supply of band-aides in your range bag.
FWIW I've found that the trick to avoiding "slide bite" with a PP is to use a thumbs-down grip like many revolver shooters prefer.

If you're unfamiliar with this, the support hand thumb is pressed against the index finger knuckle, and the firing hand thumb crosses over the support hand thumb and points down. Revolver shooters like this grip because it allows the hands to ride higher up on the gun, reducing muzzle climb; however, with a PP-series pistol, this grip helps prevent the fleshy web between the thumb and index finger of the firing hand from poking up behind the slide.

(That said, I always take Band-Aids to the range, no matter what.)

jonnyc

I've tried all sorts of different grip positions with the whole PPKS-PP series, but they all tend to bite, pinch, or slice my hand. Oddly though, my Walam does none of that.

amd6547

I had a Manurhin 32acp PP. it was my first CCW pistol, and I felt pretty well armed with it. Easy to carry, reliable, and very accurate.
The PP is one pistol I regret trading off.
However, in the medium sized 380 category, the Beretta 84 and 85 are kings, to me, and there are quite a few used ones on gunbroker.

PSP

Is there any difference between a Walther or Manurhin pistol of this era other than the labeling? I've always thought not.

gyvel

While many French guns had "odd" designs, the workmanship on every French gun that I have examined has been first class.

106RR

Some of the 380 models don't shoot to the point of aim. The sights were designed for the 32ACP. I don't think all of them are like that. Can you shoot it before purchase.