manual safety on a Glock 22

dgang

Bought a G22 about 12 years ago,immediately install a Bar-Sto barrel on it because I heard too many stories of KB's resulting from weakened brass from reloading hot 180 gr. bullets.
After 12 years I never felt completely safe stowing my pistol into my pants or console in my car with a round in the chamber.
I recently install a manual external safety on the G22 and now have complete peace of mind. Just a little flick of the thumb and the gun is good to go.
I mention this because I think there are a few others like me, some to the point where they won't chamber a round for CC, big mistake.
Any thoughts? dgang

RC20

Never heard of anyone installing a manual safety on a glock (or any striker for that matter).

I would call it equally unsafe (or more so) as its a do it yourself mfg and not been through the foreground tests it needs (often factory made guns are well tested then fielded and people find flaws).

For the type of use you describe, the glock is indeed extremely unsafe. Any striker belongs in a holster when not in use. That in turn means its not one that is flexible as to where you keep it.

I would get a S&W with a manual safety that's factory offering if you like the strikers and want that feature.

Otherwise a DA/SA semi auto would suit you a lot better..

1. Sig SP2022 for a low cost solid gun
2. PX Storm (three variation) that has the manual safety de-coker ala PPK type. Price is pretty good as well.

Te Anau

I think its a good idea considering the Glocks light trigger pull.A few other superior designs like the S&W SW9VE are fine without a manual safety. :p

dgang

Any striker belongs in a holster

I think there are many circumstances where knowledgable people would disagree with that statement. If I had to buy another .40 it would be a true double action, but since I am not in the market for another pistol in .40 cal I believe the external safety will work just fine. I've aready put about 1000 rounds through it with no problems. dgang

eldorendo

I mention this because I think there are a few others like me, some to the point where they won't chamber a round for CC, big mistake.
Any thoughts? dgang

Thoughts? Yeah, you should have done something about that OCD years ago!! :D IF you understand how a Glock works, then you'll know it'll never suffer from spontaneous combustion!!!:cool:

haymaker

Since I grew up hunting with rifles and shotguns carrying with safety on is natural to me. My first semi auto handgun experiences were with a Ruger Standard Model .22 and a Colt 1911, again both have safeties. It wouldn't bother me if my revolvers had safeties. The safety is what convinced me to buy a Ruger SR9c instead of a Glock.

RC20

I grew up with DA revolvers and am comfortable with a DA/SA semi auto with no safety. Ergo the SP2022.

glock and the non safety equipped strikers, ugh.

I would never modify a gun like that. I would buy a replacement that did what I needed it to.

RC20

Thoughts? Yeah, you should have done something about that OCD years ago!! IF you understand how a Glock works, then you'll know it'll never suffer from spontaneous combustion!!!

Yes, but the latitude for not carrying and handling it absolutely correctly and in a holster are razor thin. I prefer to walk a bit back from the cliff so that if I stumble I do not go over the edge.

OP wanted to have thoughts though it seems he wants to be lauded for what he did.

I think he is on extremely shaky ground on a number of fronts. Hopefully he does not experience those (or more accurate the people around him)

dgang

OP wanted to have thoughts though it seems he wants to be lauded for what he did.

No, not lauded, just wanted some debate. Had same kind of discussion at the local range. Would seem that if trouble jumps off it will be totally unexpected and I would rather not be fumbling for a handgun with a chance my finger tripping the trigger. Other than the Glock (except for a LCP and LCR .357) all other guns are double action. dgang

g.willikers

It's not unheard of for Glocks to have a safety.
One of the European police or military forces requires it.
(Can't remember which one, though).
So, it's not a new or untried idea.
If it makes the user happy, nothing wrong with it.

Good ole' web search says the Portuguese police, the British military and others have Glocks with safeties.

Last edited:

dgang

Maybe I misled you all. The Glock is not my primary CC weapon. However, there has been times when I was forced to intervene with problems going on in front of my house. Rather than stride out into the neighborhood with gun in hand or take time to strap on a holster I just put the firearm into my waist band. Just could not get use to the idea that an errant finger could end in a great amount of pain. As for carring it in the console in a holster. it takes two hands to draw it into action from a holster, not the case when the console is dedicated to the pistol only. If I decide to take a walk out into the wilder areas, then I do use a holster. OCD or not, just could not get use to a very light trigger pull with no safety. You may ask why I bought a Glock to begin with? It was 12 years ago and I didn't know that I would feel the way I do now. dgang

dayman

Sounds like a great idea to me, and if it works, that's pretty great for you.
I think there's actually another thread going wishing that glocks would offer something with that option from the factory. I guess they did for awhile in Europe, but it wasn't popular, so they don't anymore? I could be wrong about the details, but clearly it's possible to add a reliable/safe mechanical safety to the gun.
You should post a picture, I for one would like to see what that set up looks like.

Shadi Khalil

There are some makers of manual safeties for Glocks. I personally don't like manual safeties and think the Glock is perfectly safe without one. However, of your safety was properly installed and you train to use it there no issue. Who makes the safety you installed?

danez71

Bought a G22 about 12 years ago,immediately install a Bar-Sto barrel on it because I heard too many stories of KB's resulting from weakened brass from reloading hot 180 gr. bullets.
After 12 years I never felt completely safe stowing my pistol into my pants or console in my car with a round in the chamber.
I recently install a manual external safety on the G22 and now have complete peace of mind. Just a little flick of the thumb and the gun is good to go.
Any thoughts? dgang

Did you get the Cominolli safety?

(The Cominolli manual safety doesnt void the Glock warranty.)

Single Six

I, too, strongly prefer a manual safety on my semi-autos, and I really wish that Glock would offer it as a factory option. Smith and Wesson offers this on their M&P line for those who want it; Glock should take the hint and do likewise. A lack of same is what makes me so very hesitant to buy my own Austrian wonder pistol. I was also going to ask this question, but danez71 beat me to it: Is it the Cominolli? I have looked at that option, but I understand that the Cominolli is a "right-handed shooters only" option, and I'm a lefty.

PetahW

dgang said:
Would seem that if trouble jumps off it will be totally unexpected and I would rather not be fumbling for a handgun with a chance my finger tripping the trigger.

Which is exactly why Glock made the "New York Trigger" available as an option.

http://www.boatmanbooks.com/samplelwglocks.html

Law enforcement trainers faced with inexperienced recruits wanted a trigger designed to resist the heavy-handed techniques of beginners, and departments still in transition from revolvers to semi-autos wanted a trigger requiring more effort in the beginning stages to mimic the long, hard trigger pulls of their obsolete Smith & Wesson double-action revolvers.

Glock developed two solutions for the police market. For Miami Dade, Glock engineered a heavier 8-lb. (nominal) connector which required some three pounds of additional force during final let-off to fire the gun. For New York, Glock developed the very different “New York” trigger, which left the original 5.5-lb. connector in place but replaced the coiled-steel trigger spring with a polymer leaf-style spring of unique design, altering the entire feel of the trigger, providing more resistance during the initial stage, and adding about three pounds to the overall pull weight. A “New York Plus” spring was also developed which adds about six pounds to the pull weight.

It's still available from Glock and the aftermarket.

http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-New-York-Trigger-Spring-2-12-LBs/productinfo/G7412/

dgang

Who makes the safety you installed?

Cominolli makes the external safety ( his site can be found on the web) and gives very detailed instructions on how to install. Also lists certified installers in your area. I lacked the the knowledge and and cutting tools so I took it to a local gunsmith. After looking at the detailed instrucions, he installed it in about 30 minutes. Cominolli invites all questions and will do his best to guide you through the installation if you decide to do it yourself. Total cost, about $150.00. dgang

dgang

Cominolli is a "right-handed shooters only" option, and I'm a lefty.

Sorry single six, but the way it is installed it looks to be for right handed people only. ( wife says only left handed people are in their right mind)
To address another issue, I've shot a Glock with the New York trigger, but found it lacked the crisp let-off of the traditional Glock, more like a long pull DAO. dgang

dajowi

I had a Glock 36 .45 and had the gun outfitted with a manual safety installed by Alex Hamilton over at Ten Ring Precision years ago. It didn't invalidate the Glock warranty and worked fine. When I put the gun up for sale, it sold really quick. Why? Because it was a Glock and it had a manual safety.