Mannlichers and Accuracy

PJR

Over the years I recall reading that rifles with Mannlicher-type stocks are lacking in accuracy. Can anyone dispel or support this myth with personal experience? I like the way the full stock looks but have always hesitated buying one because of the accuracy rumors.

NJW

I happen to like Manlicher stocked guns and have a few. I think they can be a problem if not done right. I fortunatly have two that are done right. My Sako carbine is in .308 and has been a good performer and my other is an Anschutz 1433 in .22 Hornet that has also been a great shooter. Don't know about other brands but I can vouch for those two.

NJW in AZ

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
PJR:
Accuracy on mannlicher stocks can be a problem when the stock is poorly fit to the barreled action. The wood along the barrel many times touches the metal and with the increaseing heat during multiple shots, will cause the barrel to expand, touching the wood. This in return would shift the barrel enough to cause irratic shots.

One can check this by putting lamp black on the barreld action, placing it in the stock, then removing it. If the barrel touches the stock the lamp black will show up on the wood. Remove the lampt black with a barrel channeling tool and repeat until the lamp black no longer appears on the wood.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited July 28, 2000).]

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Agree with Harley. One other problem is that the barrel expands lengthwise as well as in diameter. If the barrel bands are tight, stress on the barrel can be induced as the barrel expands in length more than does the wood--and that's bad for getting tight groups. First shots will be to the proper point of aim, of course.

If you get good hunting accuracy (anything under 1-1/2" for three shots), don't worry about it.

FWIW, Art