Mannlicher style stocks...

SaxonPig

I like them. And Mannlicher is my wife's favorite gun term.

standard.jpg

pathdoc

Add a few inches to the one on the far right, add micrometer-style target sights and a heavy barrel, and you have my dream gun.

That said, IMO no full-stock rifle collection is complete without an SMLE. :p

dgludwig

or M77 international will come out in a decent caliber.

What's wrong with the .308? Mine is chambered in .308 and I love the slightly shorter bolt-throw this cartridge offers and, more importantly, its down-range performance in dispatching whitetails. My personal preference is for the 165 grain bullets for deer.

Regarding Mannlicher-style stocks, it's been my experience that people either love them or hate them. I love them. :)

tahunua001

three problems, none of which has anything to do with the 308 as a cartridge.
1. I don't own any 308s and I don't want to have to stock up on ammo, dies and brass.
2. I own 7 30 cals in various cartridges from 7.62x39 to 30-06 to 7.7 jap. anything the 308 can do one of my other 30 cals can do better.

3. the M77 RSI in 308 only comes in stainless... or at least that was the most common variant. not a good combo with mannlicher style stocks. if there was a RSI blued over walnut in 303 brit, 30-06, or 6.5 swede or heck, really fun would be 45/70, I would jump on that in a heart beat. but as it is, a short barreled 308, stainless steel, mannlicher stocked M77 just does not appeal to me...

dgludwig

3. the M77 RSI in 308 only comes in stainless...

Mine, as I believe most, if not all are, is blued. And what's wrong with s/s action/barrel, if in fact that is the case, when wedded to a Mannlicher stock? How is a s/s action and/or barrel any different than a blued one when affixed to a Mannlicher stock? :confused:

Last edited:

taylorce1

Technically it isn't a "Mannlicher" stock, it is a full length stock. Mannlicher Schoenauer is a company and made several rifles with a different kinds of stocks. Full length stocks had been used for a very long time before the Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 came out and everyone coined the phrase "Mannlicher Stock".

Mannlicher just became synonymous with the full length stocks, like Kleenex did to facial tissue or Xerox to copiers.

Sierra280

"Regarding Mannlicher-style stocks, it's been my experience that people either love them or hate them. I love them."

You have some great looking guns, but I personally have just never been a fan. My GF also thinks mannlicher is funny. Although one day she asked me what I was doing, when I said measuring ogives, she laughed uncontrollably for like 5min, then asked me if that was some sort of sex thing :p I don't get it.

tahunua001

Mine, as I believe most, if not all are, is blued. And what's wrong with s/s action/barrel, if in fact that is the case, when wedded to a Mannlicher stock? How is a s/s action and/or barrel any different than a blued one when affixed to a Mannlicher stock?
I have seen 7 RSIs in person, 4 were in 308, 3 were in 270, 4 were stainless steel, guess which caliber was blued... hint, there were 4 of them!

I have no idea why you are getting so defensive about a couple passive comments but here's my take on it. you are building a firearm styled after classic firearms of yesteryear and then you use the flashy materials synonymous with modern manufacturing. the two do not mix. it would be like a company building a replica of the 1903 springfield with a black laminate stock and stainless steel or a chrome plated enfield copycat(which gibbs did do and never sold well). if you are going to put a mannlicher stock on something then at least make the gun look somewhat authentic and use the same kind of finish that was used in the early 1900s.

dgludwig

I have no idea why you are getting so defensive about a couple passive comments but here's my take on it. you are building a firearm styled after classic firearms of yesteryear and then you use the flashy materials synonymous with modern manufacturing. the two do not mix. it would be like a company building a replica of the 1903 springfield with a black laminate stock and stainless steel or a chrome plated enfield copycat(which gibbs did do and never sold well). if you are going to put a mannlicher stock on something then at least make the gun look somewhat authentic and use the same kind of finish that was used in the early 1900s.

When you implied that the .308 cartridge is not "a decent caliber" and stated that stainless steel and Mannlicher configured stocks "is not a good combo", I was only curious as to why you felt that way. I'm not the one "getting defensive" about your "passive comments".

When you argue that s/s and Mannlicher (actually, correctly speaking as taylorce1 pointed out, full length) stocks together make the gun look unauthentic, you would have to make the same judgement about any rifle combining s/s with walnut, if "authenticity" is the standard for acceptance. The use of stainless steel for use on firearms didn't become in vogue until the sixties so, to use your argument, no firearm made before the advent of s/s would stand the test of tradition if they were made with s/s-not just Mannlicher-stocked rifles.

I have seen 7 RSIs in person, 4 were in 308, 3 were in 270, 4 were stainless steel, guess which caliber was blued... hint, there were 4 of them!

All of which is a moot point when we examine the facts: Because I like to take people at their word (you claim to have seen four s/s Ruger International models) and because I reported that my International model was not only finished in blue, and added that I believed "most, if not all" RSIs were blued, I decided to take the time and effort to peruse my collection of Ruger catalogs, dating back to 1971, to determine what the facts really are. What I was able to determine is this: The Model 77 RSI was introduced in 1982. In 1989, the MKII line was first advertised. In 1993, the RSI Model was transitioned to the MKII configuration. In every catalog edition, the RSI (International) model was described as having a blue finish (actually, the 2010 catalog reported that the RSI "Hawkeye" model was finished in "matte blue"); in no instance was the RSI model ever listed as having been made in s/s.

Where you might be confused is the fact that most, if not all, MKII bolts came in s/s. This, of course, is not the same as the action and barrel being constructed of stainless steel.

But the real topic in this thread is SaxonPig's luscious collection of Mannlicher (oops!-full length :)) stocked rifles. Beautiful specimens indeed.

dgludwig

Mannlicher style stocks...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like them.

I like them too!
Do you have any Mannlichers chambered in .22rf? I used to have a Steyr Zephyer .22 that I've regretted selling. I did recently buy a "Talo edition", full-length, walnut stocked Ruger 10-22, nicely checkered. It is s/s and I put a Williams receiver sight on it. Makes for a nice, little squirrel rifle.

Last edited:

Colt46

Love the old world look of them

Afraid of all that barrel channel that is just looking to warp or touch the barrel though.
Combine a butterknife bolt with a mannlicher stock and I'd open up the checkbook.

8MM Mauser

I love the Mannlicher style looking stocks! That Ruger NO.1 looks really good with that stock on it.

I don't own any rifles with a full length stock; but one is definitly in my future! Hopefully in an exotic European caliber of some sort; and something big and beefy; might as well take advantage of the extra weight a longer stock gives right?

Last edited:

Paul B.

I have 3 Rugre RSI ridles, all chambered to the .308 Win. and they are all blued. :eek: Found load that works in all there so just stuck with that one. Powder is one not best suited to the cartridge but works just fine for me. No barn burner at 2550 FPS which probably turns off the magnum freaks but does a very fine job on deer to at leasts 250 yards as one very large Mule Deer will attest.

On another note, I've heard that it should be pronounced "Mannlisher" rather than "Mannlicker". Does anyone have the eal skiiny on that one? Kind of like SAKO being properly pronounced "socko" rather than the common sayco.
Paul B.

44 AMP

Staff
Non native speaker vs regional dialect...

I've heard that it should be pronounced "Mannlisher" rather than "Mannlicker". Does anyone have the eal skiiny on that one? Kind of like SAKO being properly pronounced "socko" rather than the common sayco.

"ich" in a Germanic language has a correct, pronunciation. And it is neither "ick" nor "ish", it is closer to "isch", but its tough to explain in print.

AND, Mannlicher is Austrian, which puts a different light on things. Accepted pronunciation of Austrian German is not the same as Hochdeutsch.

Think of it as something along the lines of someone from New England, vs. Alabama.

One thing I did note, when I visited Austria in the mid 1970s, the people there spoke just like the people in my German class who were getting "D" grades in pronunciation.;)

pathdoc

she laughed uncontrollably for like 5min, then asked me if that was some sort of sex thing

Wait till she hears you talk about various brands of lube, reaming (in the chamber sense) etc, she'll wonder just where the hell you're hanging about online.