Managers, customer all draw guns in West Palm Beach grocery

Musketeer

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/04/29/0429groceryguns.html

By Sonja Isger

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH — It could've been a typical spat between grocery store customer and manager, with the customer announcing he planned to take his business elsewhere. But then the customer drew his gun. The store manager drew his and so did the assistant manager.

It all happened at 5 p.m. Monday at the IGA Supermarket at 1000 36th St. in West Palm Beach. And in the end, West Palm Beach police arrested customer Marshall Hugo Grant for attempted first degree murder, shooting into an occupied dwelling, aggravated assault with a firearm and carrying a concealed firearm.

Police reported Tuesday morning that Grant, 73, entered the store through the exit despite manager Marino Hernandez's warning not to enter that way. The confrontation escalated, Grant drew a handgun, assistant manager Roberto Espinal drew his handgun. Hernandez also pulled a gun. Grant backed out of the store firing three times as he went, the arrest report states.

The managers, who witnesses said never returned fire, ended up surrounding Grant, who hid behind a vehicle while continuing to fire, police report. Grant eventually surrendered his weapon to the managers once they told him police were on their way.

Looks like the instigator had no permit. The managers were both armed although they did not fire. I am not keen on pursuing someone who has been was already shooting at me but luckily this ended well.

applesanity

Here's another story on the story, but with a flair for the dramatic

Manager recounts "wild west" shooting in WPB grocery store

By Eliot Kleinberg
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 29, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH — Being a lousy shot might well have saved Marshall Hugo Grant's life.

After Grant fired three times Monday from the doorway of the King IGA grocery store, manager Marino Hernandez made a split-second decision not to fire back.

"I was afraid he was going to keep shooting, but I already had in mind that he wasn't a good shooter," Hernandez said Tuesday.

Grant, 73, appeared Tuesday morning before Judge Nancy Perez, who ordered him held without bond while he undergoes a psychiatric examination.

Grant was a daily customer who'd never been a problem, said Hernandez, who manages the large supermarket at 1000 36th St.

On Monday afternoon, Grant and Hernandez argued after he tried to enter the store through the exit.

"I said, 'You know what? Take your business elsewhere,'" Hernandez said.

Grant then drew a handgun. Assistant manager Roberto Espinal, behind a side counter, drew his gun. When Grant turned that way, Hernandez pulled his.

It was 5 p.m., and the store was jammed with customers, loading up for dinner on their way home, who hadn't counted on a 3-way Wild West standoff.

Grant made the first move. He backed out of the store and started firing.

One bullet struck the front wall above the doorway, one hit the wall to the side of the door, and one imbedded in the ceiling over the cash registers.

One cashier, all of 16 years old, was on her first day on the job.

"A lot of chicken was left on shopping carts," Hernandez said. "Customers started screaming, going for the floor."

But, he said, "I'm a quick thinker. When I saw the first bullet hit high, right away I knew I was dealing with someone that was not a good shooter."

The two managers surrounded Grant as he backed into the parking lot, hid behind a car, and fired a fourth shot.

"He said, 'You calling the police?'" I said, 'Hell yeah I am.'" Hernandez said. "I said, 'Put the gun down. Put the gun down. It's not worth it.' Then he said, 'You're going to beat me up if I put the gun down.' I said, 'I'm not going to beat you up.'"

Police then arrived and took Grant away. He was charged with attempted first-degree murder, shooting into an occupied dwelling, aggravated assault with a firearm and carrying a concealed firearm.

These two managers are awesome. They had to consider a store full of patrons, one crazy loon, and their own lives. Nobody got hurt.

Musketeer

But, he said, "I'm a quick thinker. When I saw the first bullet hit high, right away I knew I was dealing with someone that was not a good shooter."

Personally I would not have elected to give him the time to become a better shot... Instead of looking around to see what he had or had not hit I would be concentrating on returning fire and seeking cover.

Glad they were alright and glad they were prepared. I still am baffled as to why they followed into the parking lot to renew the standoff...

applesanity

I still am baffled as to why they followed into the parking lot to renew the standoff...

As Marino Hernandez said, Grant was a daily customer. I suupose the two managers knew enough about him to figure that they could overpower him with threats of force, instead of actual force.

I doubt they would've reacted the same way had it been a total stranger barging into the store.

This guy is proof that the old saying "with age comes wisdom" is just a saying and not a fact. He is lucky the managers did not kill him (and they probably would have been justified in doing so) for one reason or another. I hope he spends the last of his years in a jail cell.

model70fan

I don't know if the fact of poor accuracy would have stopped a lot of people from shooting back. Bullets don't discriminate, just because he was missing his targets (the two managers) does not mean that those bullets will magically stop moving before they accidentally hit an innocent bystander. Luckily no one got hurt, but just because the guy was a bad shot doesn't mean he can't get lucky (or unlucky, depending how you look at it) by hitting someone else besides his intended targets. Lock him up, a good story about how legally armed citizens can protect themselves while waiting for the "authorities" to arrive.

thrgunsmith

alls well that ends well

Although I think I probably would have shot back, I commend those guys for staying cool and not ending the jerks life.

jrfoxx

Quote:
I still am baffled as to why they followed into the parking lot to renew the standoff...

As Marino Hernandez said, Grant was a daily customer. I suupose the two managers knew enough about him to figure that they could overpower him with threats of force, instead of actual force.

I doubt they would've reacted the same way had it been a total stranger barging into the store.

Could also have been they were concerned the guy would start shooting peopl in the parking lot or street, etc once he left the store. Just a thought. Only those 2 guys know, and either they didnt say, or it wasnt reported that I've seen. Either way, kudos to them for steady nerves, clear headedness, and protecting them selves and others, both by carrying in the first place, but then by being willing to use them if/when needed, and then again by holding thier fire when they felt it might not be safe to bystanders, or the there was a chance to diffuse without it. All around, a GREAT job on thier part, IMHO

Jim March

This is just...I'm sorry, it's just hilarious :).

Mainly because nobody got hurt.

I'm not going to second-guess the managers. They were there, I wasn't, it ended OK.

my managers say dont resist give up money
The story does not involve a robbery. It involves a crazy bastard who starts shooting at employees after they ask him to leave the property (after he entered through an exit).

parrothead2581

after he entered through an exit

Quit thinking and good discipline by the manager.

I'm curious how the argument began. Over entering through the exit? I see that all the time. Was the manager just sick of it? A lot of folks leaving and this guy was getting in the way?

Derius_T

Wow, I'm really glad it ended good. Although the comments about the manager instinctively knowing the guy wasn't a good shot after his first one went high....man that gives me cold chills. Glad no one got hurt, but damn, that sure was a dumb chance to take on his part.....

Gbro

I think the managers are wonderful examples of armed citizens. There pocket book even survived this encounter.