Man I can be dumb..:P

CLC

For the past year or so I thought the squeeze cocking mechanism on the h&k p7 actually cocked and racked the slide :eek:. Imagine to my surprise that I dont have a clue about a pistol on my list :p.

Maybe Im going nuts but I though the Chinese made a pistol that you "squeezed" to rack the slide?

David the Gnome

You're thinking of the Norinco 77B.

1287743267.jpg

1287743285.jpg

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/ch/type-77b-e.html

James K

Member In Memoriam
It is the same system as the old German "Einhand" (one hand) pistol. No, the slide retracting piece does not cycle with the slide; when released, it goes forward under the tension of the recoil spring and stays there until needed again. But the Einhand was .25 caliber; a larger caliber will have a higher tension recoil spring which might be difficult for some shooters to overcome with one finger. That is probably the reason for the use of conventional slide serrations as well.

But no, the squeeze cocker on the HK-7 doesn't rack the slide, it just cocks the striker. Once the gun is cocked, the squeeze cocker must be held back while firing. That is not hard to do, but is not as natural as a rear mounted grip safety. The drawback is that if the shooter relaxes his hand at all, the cocker will release and the gun reverts to a hard squeeze mode for the next shot, which can be disconcerting.

Jim

Webleymkv

While the cocking lever on a P7 does not retract the slide, squeezing it will release the slide after it's been locked open.

CLC

But no, the squeeze cocker on the HK-7 doesn't rack the slide, it just cocks the striker. Once the gun is cocked, the squeeze cocker must be held back while firing. That is not hard to do, but is not as natural as a rear mounted grip safety. The drawback is that if the shooter relaxes his hand at all, the cocker will release and the gun reverts to a hard squeeze mode for the next shot, which can be disconcerting.
Sounds kinda awkward, what makes it so popular and loved? Just wondering never shot one.

Creeper

Sounds kinda awkward, what makes it so popular and loved? Just wondering never shot one.

Don't shoot one... it will be bad for your wallet. :p

Seriously, It takes 14 lbs of pressure to squeeze the cocking shell in... but once in, takes only 2-3 lbs to hold it in... less than a normal shooting grip.
Once in, the striker is pre-cocked (and will remain pre-cocked for every shot) and is released with a light, short, crisp SA trigger pull. Not 1911 short or crisp... but very nice, and somewhat unique.
Once the cocking shell is released, the gun is rendered safe.

Secret P7 trick of the day: If you want to be a stealthy shooter, and because the cocking shell linkage makes a little clicky noise when it goes over center, you can pull the trigger first, then the cocking shell... and they go bang!

Because they utilize a gas-delay blowback system to lock the breach, they function with any and all 9mm ammo, from subsonics to +P+ and everything in between.
Because they have one of the lowest bore centers of any handgun, muzzle flip is almost non-existent... and they feel like an extension of your hand.
Because of the fluted chamber and fixed polygonal barrel, they will actually extract cases without the extractor installed.

Don't even get me going about accuracy. ;)

They are an acquired taste, and not a gun you want to interchange with more conventional guns for carry.

Downsides? Heavy for the size and expensive to manufacture... and no longer made. :(

Cheers,
C

magmax

Once you get used to the HK P7, it is anything but awkward. They are great guns. Only downside I had with the gun, after a box or so of ammo, they are nearly too hot to hold.
David

spodwo

I have always heard that after shooting several mags - it is too hot. Which really isn't a good thing.

I still have my eyes on one.