Man hunting deer bags bull elk instead.

shortwave

Thats the headlines of the news article by Holly Zachariah in Saturday`s, 12/05/09 Cols.,Ohio Dispatch.

May not be alarming to some but this happened in Ohio. Bull Elk aren`t native to Ohio. Seems as though a fellow named Tod Tomlin was shotgun deer hunting Friday morning(12/04/09) in Southwestern Union Co. Watched three does go behind a thicket. He shot and watched what he said a massive buck walk off. When all was said and done, the 9 point elk dressed at 350-400lbs.

He checked elk in at Marysville Ohio, at Scotts Sporting Goods. According to ODNR Mr. Tomlin will be able to keep meat. ODNR took head for some testing but will return to Tomlin.

Also Tomlin didn`t have to use purchased deer tag. Guess thats a win-win situation for him.

but will return to Tomlin.
I think they said they will 'endeavor to return the head' after completing their testing. I bet it ends up in ODNR HQ.

Also Tomlin didn`t have to use purchased deer tag. Guess thats a win-win situation for him.
Not an Ohio game animal.

Talk of deer camp!!!!

elkman06

Wow, Didn't have a clear recognition of his target. Killed an animal which was not in season, nor had a license for, and gets nothing out of the deal. All I can say is..AMAZING!
elkman06

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
e-man, Why charge the guy? If it isn't an ohio game animal then there is no closed season... Same as florida. Electronic calls are illegal for game animals but since bobcat and coyote are not listed as "game animals" so we can use them on those critters all year long...:D
NO BAG LIMIT!
Brent

Crankylove

Not knowing a buck deer from a bull elk is slightly amusing to me :) , but, I guess if he had never seen an elk before, it is possible.

The part I have the most trouble with is the shot into the ticket when the hunter didn't have a clear picutre of what was there. Shooting at sound or movement has always seemed pretty stupid to me.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Hmm, tell that to the Feds when I go shooting wolves.......
Elk are not listed on the federal protected animal list (any level) like the wolves are so I wouldn't throw the ohio elk story in the face of an agent bustin' yer hide for the wolf kill:D;)

If elk show up in florida, they, too, will be wide open year around fair game on all private lands.
Brent

jal5

I heard about another odd deer for Ohio last week. A guy shot a deer that looked like a cross between a white tail and an elk, at least that is how the antlers and coloration was described. Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

LHB1

Quote: "Not knowing a buck deer from a bull elk is slightly amusing to me , but, I guess if he had never seen an elk before, it is possible. "

Two ladies walked up to me in Yellowstone NP couple of years back and asked me if the animals I was watching were Pronghorn Antelope. The animals were cow elk about 100 yds away. The ladies said they were school teachers. I refrained from asking them where and what they taught.

bowtekhunter

hmm a big yellow whitetail with elk horns? you know beacause deer and elk look so alike:rolleyes: i dont care how brushy it might have been or if they guy didny know what an elk looked like he shuld have known what he was shooting at

LHB1

Quote: "LHB, Possibly a red stag? "

No. Cow elk at 100 yds using 10X Leica binoculars. I haven't seen any red stag in Yellowstone NP but have seen some in Texas on exotic game ranch in Hill Country.

Last edited:

jal5

There are private reserves advertising elk hunts here in Ohio.I would bet one got away!

There are reports of cougar here too that are "not here" in Ohio according to the ODNR.

Fat White Boy

Also, I believe the state of Kentucky is re-establishing an Elk herd. Was the guy in Southern, Ohio? Elk have been known to move around from time to time...

Last edited:

rburch

Also, I believe the state of Kentucky is re-establishing a deer herd. Was the guy in Southern, Ohio? Elk have been known to move around from time to time...

Yeah, we've got some back in Virginia again since Kentucky release them.

Our state has them listed as game, but you have to report it special if you bag one.

Not 100% sure on the laws since I don't have the book with me, but basically the season is the same as whitetail, and the rules of the hunt are the same as well.

It also counts as a Whitetail and uses one of your tags (Either Antlered or Non-Antlered depending on the status or your elk)

trooper3385

A few years ago, I got dispatched to a truck vs deer accident which is fairly commen at this time of the year. When I showed up, the whole front end of this truck was smashed halfway up to the windshield. Both airbag are deployed and the truck is totalled. I asked the guy if he was sure he didn't hit a cow and he told me it was definetly a deer but it was the biggest deer he had ever seen. I walked up the road to check out this deer which turned out to be a 6X6 bull elk. Definetly no elk in my neck of the woods. Turns out the ranch hand on the game ranch across the highway left the front gate open.

Shell

elk news

There is an article about it in the Columbus Dispatch. They believe this one came from a nearby game farm across the county line. Elk and bison are both native to Ohio, but extirpated, meaning extinct to this area, besides other furry things.:D