Making something out of nothing

mitchntx

In a never-ending quest for my shooting gear and weapons to be organized and not spend any money doing it, I was wondering what items others have found that were made for one thing and wound up being a perfect and helpful "tool" to keep things neat and tidy in and around the gun safe.

A couple things I've found are:

An old printer/copier cabinets make great storage units for ammo. $5 on Craigslist.

PrinterStand.jpg

I drilled out the rivets that held the casters on and stacked it on top of my safe. And then ammo boxes on top of it.

Magnets.

Magnets.jpg

The magnetic tool tray is $9 at Lowes and the magnetic hooks (up to 10lbs) were $5 for a package of six with free shipping on eBay.

Dish storage rack. $4 at Wal-Mart for three of them.

MagRack.jpg

Plastic coated to prevent damage, light enough to move around, sturdy enough to hold loaded mags ... Had to tweak the wire to allow enough space to fit a double stack.

Maximus856

About the only thing household I've used is little coolers to separate and carry my loose ammo. Also found a cheap harbor freight metal case that totes around a few magazines and handguns. The only otherthing is the battery push lamps with the stocky backing for inside my safe.

mitchntx

The only otherthing is the battery push lamps with the stocky backing for inside my safe

I started to buy a couple of those, but figured I would forget to shut it off.

Lowes has LED night lights that are on motion sensors and stay illuminated for ~30 seconds when no motion is detected.

I took a shoe holder, for ladies shoes, that is supposed to hang on the back of a door and hillbilly teched it to fit the inside of the door of my gun safe. It now holds all 33 of my handguns really well, less the long barreled S&W model 29 and model 629 .44 Magnums I have.

LarryNTX

Also from the kitchenware section at WalMart.
These racks are $2.49 at Wallyworld and are almost identical to the pistol racks that are sold at Cabela's and other places for $15 to $20.
004.jpg

WANT A LCR 22LR

^^^ Looks like the starting gate at a horse track. . . I think the one on the inside lane is going to win by a front sight.. . . But this begs the question, would the starter fire a gun or rack a shot gun for the start?

Ideal Tool

Hello, mitchntx. I am having a problem with orginization. Since I hand load for everything from .22 Hornet up to the .40-70 BPCR, as well as revolvers, from .32WCF to .45 Long Colt..all of these are maintained on a lead diet.
Since I usually cast a few differen't bullets for each..things are starting to get complicated!
The problem is, some may go for a year or more before being taken out..trying to round up all the components again can be a nightmare!
It's not so much the dies..these are all stored neatly away in the loading bench drawers..it's the brass, bullets, & loaded ammo in plastic ctg. boxes.
I am thinking of those larger stackable tupperware containers?
What do you guys use? Thanks!

Uncle Buck

I have a tenant who uses a kind of kitty-litty that comes in square buckets (w/lid). I pack my cleaned brass in to zip lock bags and then put the bags in the buckets. I use a sharpie to mark the outside of the bucket with what brass is inside. I like these buckets because I can stack them in my closet out of the way.

Dollar store colander works very well for sifting brass from the media.

Lowes has LED night lights that are on motion sensors and stay illuminated for ~30 seconds when no motion is detected

Only 30 seconds? Heck it takes me longer than that to get over the drooling when I open the safe!

mitchntx

Only 30 seconds?

Drool is movement ... :D I thought it was short, too. But it's a lot longer than you might think just standing there.

And if if they go off, the second your hand goes back in, on they come. :cool: