Making Revolver Grips

Coltdriver

Well I have some pieces of coco bolo from back when I thought I might like to try making some 1911 grips. Never got around to it.

I looked at some Eagle Secret Service Grips for a J frame and just could not justify their prices for that tiny piece of wood.

I have a much better appreciation for the price now.:eek:

Took one of my J frames apart and made some templates for a set of Uncle Mikes boot grips. Penciled the shapes onto a piece of wood. Took a router and made the one cut for the overlay to the front of the grip and another deeper cut for the part that extends up above the main grip.

I got them to fit but the mess that got made is unbelievable. Now all I have to do is shape the outside to fit my hand and then figure out how to checker them. I am leaning towards smooth.:D

Coco Bolo dust makes you itch. God knows what it is doing to my sinus's. It smells like the jungle when you put a router to it.

The wood is absolutely beautiful and the grain is somthing you can stare at just to enjoy the depth and colors.

I was looking at all of the tools I used to get these done. A router, a belt sander, a dremel tool, a drill, a jig saw, a set of exacto knives. I could have nearly bought a set of eagle grips for the consumables alone.

I might post a picture if the final result is not too embarassing. If it is and you see a picture of some Eagle Secret Service grips you will know I just sold my router and bought some!

Colt46

Cocobolo is very hazardous!

I work with it on a pretty regular basis and always use gloves/longsleeves and a good respirator. It is well know to cause respiratory problems. Exposure to skin won't have lasting effects. Cannot say that for your lungs. Be careful.
On the up side, Cocobolo looks great, is very durable and seems to be naturally water resistant.

marca

Cocobolo's especially problematic for people who are sensitive to poison ivy. When I turn it on my lathe I really have to watch the dust and shavings. My daughter can't go anywhere near the workshop when I'm working with it. She has a skin reaction.

CZ_

Could y'all explain more about the hazards of Cocobolo?

I have a couple grips made out of it, and its very pretty wood. Is it only when its worked it its hazardous (the sawdust of it?), or does it affect some people by skin contact to?