Making minishells

BourbonCowboy

I posted this on another site, but thought I'd share it here.

Since I've finally gotten my Mossberg Shockwave, I've been wanting to shoot minishells with an OpSol adapter. I bought a few boxes of Aguila slugs, but couldn't find any buckshot - because they're apparently made of pure unobtanium. So I decided (with the help of a YouTube video) to make a few of my own.

To do this, I picked up a few boxes of 12 gauge #8 shot and cut them down. I replaced the shot with #4 buckshot. I left the powder in place, so I would be using the same reduced recoil field shot. I also had to cut down the shot cup. Not too much of a problem.

At first, I made them too long...so I cut them down. Then they were almost right. The problem was that they were not crimped flatly - and that caused a feeding problem. Once I solved this problem, the shells began cycling properly and the recoil was very light. The original shells that I cut were 1 1/8 load, but I found that I couldn't get enough #4 buckshot into the shell. So I put fewer into them, and they worked just fine.

I haven't patterned the shells, as I'm still trying to perfect them. But as I get better at this, I'll update this thread for those who are considering doing the same.

A final thought: Shooting the homemade loads was a lot of fun. The light recoil and noticeable accuracy put a big goofy grin on my face. Eventually, I'll go with primered hulls and packaged powder (when they're readily available. But for now, I'm having a lot of fun rollin' my own with the Shockwave.

nhyrum

I'm not sure which videos you watched on making your shotshells, but they're a completely different animal. Shotguns are a much lower pressure animal, and can get over pressured very easily, so just a word of caution. Shotgun load data is important. It's not like metallic data, where you're given a range. You use the load as published, period. It's a bit odd, I admit, but it is important. Anyway... Not trying to flame at all. They're just... Different.

Your buckshot will likely benefit from a buffer material(cornstarch or corn meal can be used, a small amount, such as a teaspoon), but the loads generally need to be designed for it, as it can quickly increase pressures. It will prevent the balls from sticking to each other. It also sounds like overshot cards could help getting a better crimp. I'm not sure what your loading setup is either, and how you're crimping, but a roll crimp will probably be best, and with buckshot, you will need an over shot card(they're pretty easy to make) and you can get roll crimpers you can put on a drill press or hand drill

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

FITASC

Where did this load date and way to make them come from? Doesn't sound like it is a published load.

lugerstew

We used to load a lot of 4 buck for canada goose hunting, in 12 gauge we would stack 7 pellets in a layer, i think it was 6 around the circle and one in the center, then build the next layer, we got about 28 of them in a 2 3/4 inch hull. Then we would put cream of wheat for a buffer, then a small portion of toilet paper to keep the buffer from creeping out the front crimp, this all worked really well to keep the patterns small. I remember my dad saying, with these rounds we can feed them, kill them and wipe their a** all at the same time lol.

BourbonCowboy

I just followed this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzStAOvVKJY I did invest in a hull vise to make the process go a bit smoother.

My results worked OK to start, and they're getting better with each time I try. I use overshot cards to keep the lead in the shell, and an inexpensive roll crimp tool with a cordless drill.

As for my understanding, a lighter load won't increase pressure - particularly since the load isn't packed as tightly as #8 shot.

Anyway, they work great, but I've yet to have the time to seriously pattern my new minis - which is OK because they're just for target practice and training. I've got several boxes of Aguila and Russian-made Techrim ammo for my home defense loads.

Last edited:

Seedy Character

I was interested in something along the same lines, but entiri different.

I shoot Cowboy Action and wanted reduced load, plus the added benefit of allowing grandsons to shoot.

The "mini-shell" concept was enticing, but cost prohibitive.

Found a YouTube and bought a box of cheap, Rio dove loads..

Cut the hull to 1 15/16". Cut bottom cushion off of wad. Reduced the 1oz shot charge to 1/2oz. Added an overwad and roll crimped.

Worked good, but a lot of work, for end result.

Still searching for a better way.

Geezerbiker

Years ago when I had more time than money, I made my own buckshot loads by using .32" round balls from a muzzle loader mold. I then loaded them with the same data for other one ounce shot loads on my MEC shotgun loader press. I didn't buffer them since I was using a rather hard lead/tin alloy.

These patterned well and I think I still have a few on hand.

Tony