Making grips

plumbernater

2010-09-03101017.jpg
I have this old Model D 380 star pistol and the old grips are getting ruff and has a crack in them. Im thinking of making some out of some black walnut hard wood floor pieces I picked up on a job I was working on. Does anyone out there have any experence in this That might want to help with advice.

aarondhgraham

Just trace the old grips,,,

And start sanding the new wood.

I had a friend who put himself through college making custom briar pipes,,,
He used a Dremel tool and a lot of their sanding drums,,,
I'll imagine that would work for you as well.

Take pick when you are done,,,
I'll be interested in seeing your work.

erob3

I'll way in on this one. I have made one set for my Star 9mm and I'm on my
2nd for my RIA 9m 1911 I just bought. Get on ebay and type in pistol grip blanks, you will find many different types of wood in sets of 2 available to buy. The first set I made was Walnut - they turned out, IMO, beautiful. I chose black cherry burl for this set and they are almost done. I owe all of this to my brother who has a belt sander machine and different grit belts. It's great to make your own but I will be the first to admit that without him I would have never been able to make them, even with the equipment. He makes knife handles and knows his way around how to make the nice curves and everything. If you are persisitent about doing this, find someone that has the machines to do this along with his experience and it will be an enjoyable undertaking. Otherwise, check out GunGripGuys.com. Good Luck.

dreamweaver

yep, like already mentioned;
trace the pattern and cut it. for 1911 grips i use a table saw for all the straight rough cuts.
make the contour cuts with a belt sander, wood files and or dremel grinder.
for 1911 grips i i keep the belt sander parallel with the grain and just rock it side to side to form the grip. then sand by hand to 400 and multiple coats of hand rubbed oil, or satin poly.

dans3kgt

I have never done a gun grip but I have made several knife handles. as long as you have a 1" belt sander and a dremel tool your good to go. My first knife handle took about 15 min. to get it ready for varnish.\

dan