Making gas cyclinder Tighter on M1

akinswi

I noticed my gas cyclinder wiggles a bit on my M1. Is this normal? and how much accuracy does it affect, This rifle shoots about 1 to 1.5 at 100 yards. But i have seen aricles that it needs to be snug, its neither snug nor flopping around, it just wiggles a bit.

Also i have seen videos of people taking punches and tapping on the splines on the barrel to tighten it up. Is there another way? Scares the heck out of me to even lightly tap on the splines. Thanks

Another thing as the barrel heats and expands would this reduce the amount of wiggle? I dont know if anyone has mentioned that aswell.

Thanks

Peen the grooves on the barrel a little or use cut from soda can shims to tighten it up. Both methods will work. Be aware that when the rifle heats up it will tighten itself up some.

bamaranger

ain't skeered!

Nothing to worry about concerning the splines. Just a wee bit of punch work will tighten up the cylinder and thus front sight assembly. Go light and easy, simple...........honest.

akinswi

Gas cyclinder

I peened the bottom two splines next to the gas port and there is zero play in the front post and gas cyclinder now. Im hoping this will help improve accuracy even more. Also how tight do you folks tighten the gas plug? I do have the tool that stores in the butt stock and used that to tighten it down. I tighten it till i couldn’t tighten anymore, also do you folks leave them in the butt stock ? I noticed after i removed them they started sliding around i stuffed some cleaning patches in there to prevent any movement.

Thanks,

Will

T. O'Heir

"...1 to 1.5 at 100 yards..." Lotta guys dream about having an M1 that'll do that. What ammo?
The barrel won't heat up enough to do anything. And a hot barrel can cause other issues.

akinswi

@ T O’Heir,

The ammo is hand loads, But I can get just under two inches with the PPU ammo they Make for the M1. I get about 3 to 4 with milsurp M2 ball. I dont shoot that much now do to its kinda impossible to find. I have some 1967 National Match 173 grain ammo i love to try but at 34.00 a box its in the collector pile aswell , come to think of it all my milsurp ammo from 8mm to 303 british and especially the 7.5 swedish i havent shot in years. Sometimes I think I enjoy collecting the ammo more than the firearms heck im seeing mosin nagants at 350.00 i remember buying my first one for 80.00 gotta love inflation.

jcj54

Combination tool

If you mean the WW2 and immediate postwar tools, normal procedure was to put the tool in the upper buttstock hole, then a couple patches, then the grease pot. The oiler/pull through case went in the lower hole with a couple patches behind it to eliminate rattle.