Making a rifle lighter?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Light weight stock, cut the barrel down to 20-21 inches, fixed power, smallish objective scope.

Need to know what exactly it is now to be more specific.

WV_gunner

.243 caliber with scope and a synthetic stock. Unsure of the barrel length, I'll have to check. Thinking of possibly cutting 2 inches off and getting it fluted. Possibly the bolt too.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
You'll be looking at maybe 2oz per inch of barrel, give or take. Its most likely 24" now. So going to 20 would save you 8oz, maybe.

You can't get a much lighter stock.

Fixed objective scope would save a few ounces.

Getting the barrel fluted might get pricey. I'm not sure, but I think you'd want it stress relieved after fluting.

You can get a brand new barrel in any length, material and fluting you want for under $400.

WV_gunner

Anyone ever dealt with Proof Research? Supposed to be good, but I can't find prices. I'm sure it's out of the budget though.

WV_gunner

This is a hunting rifle and max range is about 400 yards. This gun will be carried all day. Need it to be lighter and slightly more compact.

PetahW

What's it's weight on a baby scale, now ?

If it already weighs only 7lbs, there's no way 2 lbs can be shaved off it - the only 5lb CF BA factory rifles I'm aware of is a NULA. or a Weatherby UltraLite (in standard cals), but LW customs can be had from Rifles, Inc or Christiansen Arms.

FWIW, Weaver 2-piece bases are about the lightest around, and even WallyWorld sells alloy rings to fit them.

"Some" BA rifles can be run w/o the sheet metal magazine well liner (not very heavy, but still weighing something )- unless your rifle has a detachable mag (you haven't given a complete description, as yet).

Last edited:

Metal god

Sometimes working on the gun and making it what you want is part of the fun but it sounds to me it may be the wrong rifle to take hunting . For the amount of money you may spend on fixing this gun you may be able to buy a Ruger American or a Savage Axis . Both are well under $400 , less then 7lbs and very accurate . My American is sub MOA no problem and pretty light at 6-1/4 lbs .

Just a thought :)

EDIT: I was just looking at all the 243 savage heavy barreled guns they make . They all look like really nice rifles that I would not want to mess with . If it's not a heavy barrel I don't think you can have it flutted . If you can have a light spoter type barrel flutted . I would think you would not be able to remove enough meterial to make a difference .

Last edited:

m&p45acp10+1

It may prove to be cheaper in the long run to buy a lighter rifle. Something like on the single shot take down rifles. Something like a T/C Encore with a fixed power scope. In my years of hunting I have never taken a follow up shot. If you needed another shot you should not have missed with the first one.

FrankenMauser

Why not just sell it and put that money and the "upgrade" money into a new Savage "Lightweight Hunter" ?

They're running $710-775 out-the-door, around here (including 6.75% sales tax, $7.50 background check, and any additional "dealer fees").
Or would that be beyond the budget?

WV_gunner

When I hunt, I don't like using a sling. But by the end of the day I'm doing good to still carry it without the sling. I hunted this buck season with a much more compact and light gun than usual, but it's range limited. So I'm wanting to make this gun a little easier to carry. I'm not buying another gun though. And just to make it clear, I'm not afraid of hunting with a single shot. Did it when I was a kid and just this year I took a single shot bear hunting. I'd use one to deer hunt with too, but I'm using this gun.

So it looks like I don't really have options. Guess I'm going to look into a carbon fiber barrel.

WV_gunner

About the comment saying you don't need a follow up shot, you are mistaken and you must have good luck. I've seen a deer run with about half of it's head missing. It needed another shot. And even with a fatal shot, not every deer magically drops instantly. Many run. Running a few hundred yards is somewhat common and they were shot in the heart. Just yesterday one ran about 3/4 of a mile that was shot in the chest with a .300 magnum where I was hunting.

jmr40

Two lbs isn't practical. About 3/4-1 lb is possible if you consider the total weight including optcs, but can get expensive. If you want 2 lbs, sell it and buy a Kimber.

Your stock will probably weigh about 30-36 oz. The cheapest aftermarket stock that will save you any weight is a McMillan Edge. About 22-24 oz and $518. There are some other companies making 16 oz. stocks, but they are even more expensive. Going with a blind magazine vs floorplate will save you about 4 oz. Having a short action such as a 308 instead of long action in 30-06 will save you about 4 oz.

Look at your optics and mounts. Many common scopes are 16 oz or even more. Steel mounts are 6-8 oz. Going to a Leupold fixed 2.5X or 1-4X will get you down to 6 or 8 oz. for you scope. A 2-7x or 3-9X will be 10-11 oz. If you want lightweight don't even consider anything but Leupold. For mounts look at Talley lightweights or DNZ (2-3 oz).

Don't foget your sling. A Butler Creek Mountain sling weighs 4 oz. Many common slings I see hunters luggng around are as much as 2 lbs just for the carry strap.

You could shorten and flute a barrel, but the benefits are not worth the cost. Same with lightening the bolt handle. By the time you pay for all of the modifications you could buy a Kimber, have a better rifle, and have money left over. Mine is still under 6 lbs with scope and mounts.

m&p45acp10+1

WVgunner I have never had to track a deer in my 29 years of hunting. That includes archery, and hand gun hunting as well. I have passed on taking an iffy shot more times than I can count. Never had an animal go more than 50 feet from where I hit them. All except for one shot have been broad side shots. The one that was not was a head shot that took out the brain, and spine. It was my first deer shot almost exactly 29 years ago to this date.

Oh and I know there is no magic bullet that works as a death ray. I have seen family member have to track the deer that ran half a mile with both lungs collapsed. Though making a good clean shot will go a long way.

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
m&p45acp10+1 said:
WVgunner I have never had to track a deer in my 29 years of hunting. That includes archery, and hand gun hunting as well. I have passed on taking an iffy shot more times than I can count. Never had an animal go more than 50 feet from where I hit them.

50 feet?

16 yards?

With a bow?

I'm sorry, but unless you're talking about a very small number of deer, and even then you'd have to be astonishingly lucky, that is simply unbelievable.

Even with guns that's unbelievable. I've seen A LOT of deer get shot. The average distance traveled on ANY shot that does not sever the spine is MUCH farther than 16 yards.

m&p45acp10+1

Brian I killed 14 deer with a bow. never took a shot over 15 yards in all of those. The one that made it the farthest bounded, took a couple of stutter steps, dropped, and kicked all over the place. Much to my dismay it went down in a huge bed of prickly pear cactus. Rifle, and hand gun most when hit their legs looked like the folded under them. I am not the great white hunter. Most of my shots have been at very close ranges of 30 yards or less.

A hand full of rifle shots have been around 100 yards, and my first deer I hit with a head shot at 200 yards with an old 1903 Springfield with iron sights. I was 7 the rifle was longer than I was tall. I wound up on my back with the rifle pointing at the sky. I am still surprised I hit the thing to this day. Bullet went in under the eye, and blew out the brain, and spine. I was aiming at the white star area. Never took a shot that long a white tail since.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
It's already a lightweight gun so unless you drop the scope and put on iron sights and replace the stock with a youth model stock you aren't going to lighten it up without doing something bad to it.

Dos Centavos from an old dinosaur who thinks you already have a great gun and wouldn't mess with it.