Making a Mountain Gun

frontlander

Howdy fellas. I have a barrel and internal parts for a S&W Mountain Gun (results of a double charge of Unique). I was considering purchasing a used 629 (any barrel length) and having the mountain barrel installed on it. Would this be cheaper than just buying a new Mountain Gun? Anybody have a spare 629 laying around? Thanks.

Richard

Sorry, but my experience tells me you will still have a bastard handgun unless you have a pro do it. From a cost stand point you are better off buying the "Real Mc Coy." Regards, Richard.

Ledbetter

And after you buy your new Mountain Gun

. . . you'll have a spare barrel and, er, internal parts (yuck).

Just kidding, best of luck,

Led

mikey357

Frontlander-have you considered sending the gun back to S&W and...being HONEST with them about what happened...seeing what it would cost to have your 629 "rebuilt"??? It might be worth looking into...ya never know....mikey357

frontlander

Mikey357, I did call Smith and Wesson to see if they could do what you suggested. They said that the frame of the gun is the serial numbered part, and therefore is considered the gun. They will not sell me a gun direct, which they would technically be doing if they provided a frame on which to fit my barrel. They would probably fit my barrel if I sent them a frame that I had purchased myself.