Make the Trade? 11-87 for Savage 270WSM

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I have an older model 11-87 which originally had a standard wooden stock. I don't know the age. I've owned it for about 6 years. Was in near new condition when I bought it. I have changed the stock to the new(er) Shurshot camo stock and had a trigger job done by a guy recommended by Randy Wakeman. The gun now looks like this:

417335_L1

What the fellow has for trade is a virtually new, 2 week old Savage model 11 chambered in 270WSM. He has fired about 1/2 box of shells. It apparently has Accutrigger and Accustock and looks like this:

wpAzqm5tT_tBJsovLL2.png

I don't need the rifle, most of my deer hunting is currently in shotgun or handgun only areas. I hunt with my Encore handgun except last year I had a scope mount issue so I used the 11-87. I do anticipate that most areas I hunt will EVENTUALLY be rifle hunting and the 270WSM is one of my top choices... I really want a 243 WSSM but that seems to have lived short and died hard and even if it didn't, I don't have anyone looking to trade me one....

I roll my own ammo so availability and cost is not a concern.

Anyway, would you?

upstate81

For a 270 win yes 270 wsm? Not so much... I'm assuming its scoped if he has been shooting it? What kind of set up does it have?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
It has a scope but he plans to keep it. My shotgun has a scope that I'm keeping.

Both guns will be essentially as they appear in the pictures.

Why you no like WSM?

upstate81

Honestly, for me It's mostly personal. I don't reload so ammo availablity and prices would both be inferior to the 270 win. The largest game I currently hunt is whitetale deer under 300 yards. The 270 win. is a classic well rounded cartridge that has proven it's self a million times over. I guess if I had a lot of shots past 400 yards I could see it's advantages...

hooligan1

Peetz, I kinda go by this line of reasoning for trading.
1. Is it something I need or really want?
2. How does it compare to what I have to trade?
3. Is it something that won't be useful to me next week or even next year?
4. Monetary wise how will I come out in this trade,,,, usually I take a beating.:eek:
5. I then okay it with headquarters, and pull the trigger!;)

If I say no to any of these then I retract from the trade.;)

(hell yes I'd trade the shotgun for the rifle)

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I done did it. It's not actually an accustock model but I don't care about that anyway. It is accutrigger. Nice gun. Now I've got to sell my extra handgun scope to fund some toys for this baby!

warbirdlover

TRADE!!

Oh... you already did... :rolleyes:

In my limited experience, 270WSM ammo is EXPENSIVE and hard to find.

Expensive yes. Hard to find? Not around here. I almost bought one but don't reload anymore so didn't. Even then, after you get a hunting rifle sighted in how many times do you shoot it a year after that?

Last edited:
My 270 WSM

is a Win M70 Classic (CRF) Featherweight, lefty.

Ammo is at least $40 (Rem CorLokt), up to $55 a box. But I hand load, so I can go cheaper. But, it loves Win Supreme Ballstic SilverTips. So, I have decided to hand load Trail Boss for practice, then shoot BST's for game hunting.

Last edited:

TX Hunter

I wouldnt trade for a Rifle in 270 WSM, that ammo is too expensive, and hard to find.
If it was chambered for something common I would make the trade.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Don't care about the ammo, Jeebs. I load my own.
I do care that I have to special order the die I want but it'll still pay for itself in 3 boxes of ammo. :)

fast-eddie

good trade

Great trade. Have almost the exact same shotgun on the used rack at my local GS for $250. These rives go for no less than $399 in average condition no less.
The 270 wsm has always interested me, here the ammo isn't priced to bad either.