Makarov?

Nevada Fitch

I have handled them at gunstores but never shot one. I am not into cheap guns much but this one might fill a nitch for me if it was reliable. I absolutely have no use for an unrealiable gun of anykind no matter what the price.How good are they? Does anyone have much expeirence with them here?

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, Nevada Fitch. Makarovs are inexpensive, but not "cheap." You get no frills for your money and not the best sights nor trigger pull, but you do get a reliable and accurate little gem that you can shoot the daylights out of.
Internally, they are quite simple and parts can be quickly and inexpensively replaced if need be. You might go to http://www.makarov.com for more information on these little guns.
I, too, care nothing for "junkers" and own several of the high end, big name handguns, but I also enjoy my little Mak; it does what I want in that it shoots and does not malfunction. I thought enough of mine (commercial Bulgarian) that I spent the cost of the gun again in a Beast Enterprises slide that comes with Novak sights installed. I could not see the smaller original sights. Even though I now have about $300 in my Mak, I continue to shoot and enjoy it. Extra magazines can be had for around $6 or $7 each and ammo's readily available. As the old commercial goes, "Try it. You'll like it."

Best.

kdub

you will find the mak to be one of the best values out there. actually probably the best, in terms of value. absolutely reliable, functional, accurate pistol right out of the box.
the sights are tiny, though. the russian commercial models were imported with cheesy adjustable sights, they tend to fall apart. the bulgarian military model that everyone seems to be selling come with the original, fixed tiny sights. mr. camp mentioned the beast slide, found on makarov .com. this allows decent sized sights. get one, and you will be amazed enough to go get a couple more.
kdub

Kevinch

Stephen said:

I thought enough of mine (commercial Bulgarian) that I spent the cost of the gun again in a Beast Enterprises slide that comes with Novak sights installed.

I went a little further with one of my Maks - a milsurp Bulgarian - and had the slide modified and equipped with a set of MMC combat adjustable night sights. The sights cost more than my gun did - before I had them installed!

As I said in the past my goal was to take a reliable, accurate, and economical to shoot handgun and modify it with accessories to enhance its role as a CCW pistol. I could have spent more money going in on a .380ACP, but all I would have is more money invested on a gun with a slightly less powerful round. No way it could be more reliable than a Makarov, or more robust - & they are cheap to practice with using the Russian ammo that is available.

It has to be about the best pistol value on the market today - period.

J. Parker

Nevada: I can't add much more but to say they are "INCREDIBLE" little pistols. I hold this pistol in my hand and think to myself "this pistol only cost me $150 bucks"? In this day and age of $600 pistols it's got to be the VALUE in handguns today. I used to think the VALUE champ was the Ruger P-95 but no more. I recently bought an "Unissued Bulgarian Makarov". I rubbed it down with some mild polishing paste and it GLEEMS! It's a beautiful little pistol, reliable, sturdy (all steel), and comes in a decent calibre. You can get them in 380 or 9X18 Makarov. I got the 9X18. There was a time when 9X18 wasn't that available but that's all changed. It's common now in practice or hollowpoint ammo. There're great guns! Best, J. Parker

Mike P. Wagner

While it's not a Makarov, I have placed an order for a CZ-52. From what I've investigated on net, inexpensive does not necessarily equal cheap in the C & R or military surplus world.

While I did not buy the CZ-52 for carry, if I compare that gun to what I can buy new or even used for $165 bucks, that's not a cheap gun. My parameters were really purely shooting fun, so I'm not recommending it in place of the Mak, but it seems like a very good value to me.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'll let you know when I actually get my paws on it.

Mike P. Wagner

ATTICUS

I agree with everything said above. I paid $119 for mine about six years ago. My only regret is that I didn't buy a couple more. I would not hesitate a second to grab the Mak in a life or death situation. I've never had a malfunction and it is surprisingly accurate at defensive ranges. Oh yeah - you can still find mags for under $5. Amazing!

Marko Kloos

Makarovs are without a doubt the best value in pistols around at the moment. $150 will get you a simple, solid and reliable combat-tested design with a 50-year track record. I used to own a Norinco M59 Makarov, and I never had any problems of any kind with the pistol before I (foolishly) sold it to my boss. I've been trying to get it back from him ever since.

Maks are generally extremely reliable. They are definitely underappreciated in some places...until you use that little "commie popgun" to punch out the 10-Ring. They are surprisingly accurate due to the fixed barrel.

Ding

I'd better chime in now

Russian hollowpoint ammo can be had for $115/1000 rds. You can make it both your practice and defense ammo at the same time! Amazing.
I got my Unissued Bulgarian military Makarov in 9x18mm Makarov for just $99. It came with a Russian holster, two matching mags, and a takedown tool. Amazing.
I got a few magazines from http://www.makarov.com/ for $5 apiece. Amazing.
The design of the pistol is so simple in excecution, it's quite amazing. 26 parts and only one screw (it holds the grip on). Keep in mind that we're talking about a DA semiautomatic pistol with an external safety/decocker.

I am on the Makarov bandwagon big time. I read a bunch of threads like this one, and decided to try one out. I was getting bored with my safe full of handguns costing 2-3-4 times as much you see. The result was that I now own two. A Bulgarian and a Russian with the adjustable sights. I fully intend to send my Bulgarian down to BEAST and have the full treatment done to it; but I have been talking about it for months and haven't done it yet. The cost isn't a factor, this gun is worth twice as much as it costs anyway. This pistol has one strange attribute. I don't want to stop shooting it. Seriously; I normally shoot and my arms get tired or my vision gets blurry and I go home. I am POed when I run out of ammo for the MAK. I am a reloading fiend, but this thing is so cheap to shoot it isn't worth the effort. A set of dies cost as much as 500 rounds of commie ammo. Buy it, you will be with us answering the next guy in your shoes.

Strayhorn

The Makarov is reliable, accurate, robust and inexpensive. What more can you ask?

I paid $109 for an East German Mak (formerly owned by the Stasi!) from AIM Surplus during their Christmas sale. Firing that fine Barnaul 9mmMak hollow point, it is more accurate than handguns that cost three times as much. With the crome-plated bore, it cleans up in a snap, too.

It's a perfect "house gun" for the bedside table.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Pilot

I concur with all above!

I now have five Makarovs. Two Russians and East German and two Bulgarian Milsurps. All are 100% reliable, very accurate and tough. While I have several pistols costing 4 - 5 times the price of the Mak, guess what I carry? You're correct, a Makarov. Its not a "cheap" gun, but it is inexpensive to buy and shoot. Do not be fooled by the price.

Pilot

leapfrog

Add me to the list. I picked up a Bulgarian Surplus Mak this past weekend. Went to the range yesterday to try it out with the Bernaul 95 grain JHPs I had ordered in anticipation of getting the Mak. All I can say is that I am now an unqualified fan. More accurate than anything I have ever shot in a small caliber. My only change for the time being will be a set of Pearce grips.

straightShot

Since we're talking about Makarovs, who has the best deal on 9x18 Makarov ammo?

I shot some Russian ammo that came in a green and white box yesterday without incident in my new East German Mak, but it seemed a little dirty and I got a pretty good flame on every shot. I was the cheapest 9x18 that I could find at the gun show, but I wouldn't mind spending just a little more per box for some cleaner stuff.

I've checked prices on brass cased ammo, and the case prices have been higher than 9mm Luger. This doesn't seem right.

Having fired my new Mak, I think that I'd like another...

straightShot

alamo

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. My E. German Makarov is great. Best $170 I've ever spent on a gun.

Ding

The LVE green-box ammo is pretty much the best ammo available now, and it's not dirty. If you want dirty, try shooting some Wolf (TCW) ammo for a while.

The best prices usually can be found at Dan's Sporting Goods through http://www.makarov.com/ Look around a bit on that site and you'll find the Ammo Order Form where you can buy LVE FMJ and Barnaul JHP at very reasonable prices. Free shipping east of the river too!

oweno

I agree with Ding - the LVE 'green box' Novosibirsk is good stuff..order from Dan's at makarov.com I've fired maybe 500 or 600 rounds thru my Mak and no problems.

I think that the 'white box' (Wolf?) Russian ammo is hotter than the LVE stuff - anybody have any thoughts on this?

Owen

automainea

i have owned all of the big named guns and paid big prices but my bulgarian mak for 150.00 new has out performed them all,if i were you i wouldnt buy one,i would buy two or more

Kevinch

About Dan's

Ding wrote:
The best prices usually can be found at Dan's Sporting Goods through http://www.makarov.com/

You can now go directly to Dan's web site and buy directly from him if you want to.

One of the nice things, IMHO, about the Mak are the 2 web sites that you can use to support the hobby - both Dan's & Karl Bloss's Makarov.com. I first got my education in Maks from Karl's site, and have purchased both Mak & SKS accessories from him. He is a good individual to deal with, offers good mercandise at a very reasonable price & runs his web site well.

I can't say enough about Dan Tobin. I first saw his name pop up in the Makarov.com Message Board as a good place to buy ammo, then as a good source for unissued milsurp Bulgarian Maks. A posting of his phone number indicated he was in the same general area of Pa. as me - I then found out he is less than 10 miles away! In that short year I have done *a lot* of business with him, & also sent a lot his way. All I ever received from those I sent to see Dan was a sincere "thankyou". Dan's warehouse is very well stocked, his prices are great and his customer service is even better.

Give them both a try - you won't be sorry. (Both are best reached by e-mail)

Ding

Well, I stand corrected. I never knew that Dan had a website - everyone either gives his phone number or his email address (not @dansammo.com, BTW). From now on I'll keep this site in mind when I'm giving Makarov advice to newbies. :)