Makarov Question

CJO

Just got a NIB unissued Bulgie Mak (9x18) for $169.00....Spent this afternoon blasting off the packing grease with brake cleaner and am pleasantly impressed with the overall appearance of the pistol...Very good fit and finish...Will shoot it tomorrow...Anyway,,My question to you Makaholics...Will dry firing damage this gun??? Sure hope not as my daughter has already snapped it half a dozen times...

Tecolote

Make sure you get as mcuh cosmoline off as you can. Lube it with CLP or other quality lubricant. Did you remove the grips to get all the gunk out? If so, careful when installing the grip screw, if you tighten too much it'll bind the mags. Also, whatever you, don't lube the mags after you've reassembled them.

Dry fire all you want. Maks can take all you can dish out. Maks were designed to withstand "pofigism." The attitude that who cares about cleaning, who cares about taking care of equipment, who cares about lubing, in other words if they could withstand what a SovBlock recruit could dish out they can resist plenty of dry firing.

Check out www.makarov.com for more information.

------------------
"Get yourself a Lorcin and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol."

Destructo6

I don't know for certain, but I suspect not. With no cartridge in the chamber, a Mak's firing pin doesn't protrude from the rear enough to allow the hammer to hit it. Try it out: cock the hammer and point it at the ground; the firing pin is flush with the slide.

Tom B

In theory dry firing is no problem but I tend to avoid it. I have the Bulgie and an EG (just sold a Russian Com). The Mak trigger will smooth out very quickly after firing just a few hundred rounds so IMO dry firing isn't needed. The research that I have done shows that the biggest problem area is the safety. When it has been operated many times it will become loose and during recoil will tend to move and block the firing pin causing FTF. Since the Mak is DA/SA I don't use the safety. Get some Pearce grips also as they make a big difference. You will enjoy your Bulgie - Its a great pistol!

denfoote

I used to do an (almost) Elvis, and dry fire my Mak at the TV every time I saw Rosie O'Lezzie's smiling mug!!! ;)
Yeah, it's OK!!! :)

------------------
Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

CJO

Shot my Mak for the first time today....Delighted!!!!! Best damn $169.00 I ever spent...Terrific groups at 7, 15 and 25 yards...A real pleasure to shoot...No failures of any kind...I was pressed for time and only had 1 box of ammo...Thought I was going to cry when I was done...Hey guys, what is it about these little pistols...Why such a well kept secret??...Bought a box of Hornaday XTP's and will definitely rotate it with my Kimber Ultra Carry..Does anyone make a Kydex IWB for the MAK???

Destructo6

Make sure you put a couple of mags of that Hornandy JHP through your Mak before you rely on it as a defense load. My E. German Mak hated that stuff.

I think the secret is out of the bag for those that care to look. Good choice.

Try www.makarov.com for holsters and other accessories.

DAL

Welcome to the fold! You've got a lot of fun, satisfying shooting ahead of you. You'll find the Makarov keeps growing on you the more you fire it.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA

Tom B

Now let me give you the next best kept secret. Ruger P95. $279. new and shoots as well as my Glocks. Now don't say you haven't been told!