Makarov magazine question

sterno

O.K., so today I was at the range and I was shooting my Mak. Shoots great. This is the first trip to the range since I've bought dies to reload the 9x18, so it is also the first time I paid attention to where my brass was going.

This gun shot the brass all over the place! I was only able to recover about half of what I shot. It didn't help that the range just leaves brass everywhere, but still.

I'm guessing that the reason they're shooting out with so much gusto is that the spring in my mags are super-duper. Have any of y'all had similar problems? I'm guessing that cutting a round or two off the spring might help but I'm not sure how much. That and I'm not even sure I'd want to since it's my carry peice and there's no way it's stovepipeing. I never had one yet in that gun.

Any advice?

donkee

Actually, the mag springs are not the cause. More likely would be a worn or light recoil spring. Are you using the stock spring or put in a wolf lighter weight one?

EIGHTYDUECE

I don't believe the magazine has anything to do with the way casings eject from the pistol. It is either your recoil spring is weak or it is simply a side effect of the Makarov being a straight blowback design. The latter is my guess.

On a straight blowback pistol, the only thing holding the slide shut and a round in the chamber is the recoil spring. One thing that is common is the ejected casing can act differently depending on how rigid you are holding the pistol during firing.

sterno

I'm using the stock spring.

How can you tell if the spring is weak? What other problems can that cause?

JR47

Aweak recoil spring is usually shorter than a new, full-power, spring. A weak recoil spring can lead to battering of the frame, and, in the case of blowback operatied weapons, could lead to premature movement of the slide, spraying gases, and maybe brass particles from a ruptured case, from the ejection port.:eek:

JR47

A weak recoil spring is usually shorter than a new, full-power, spring. Such a recoil spring can lead to battering of the frame. In the case of a blowback operated weapon, it could lead to premature movement of the slide, spraying gases, and maybe brass particles from a ruptured case, from the ejection port.:eek:

donkee

well, if it's super easy to rack then that's a clue. How many rounds have you put through it? I put a new wolf spring in mine, the next heavier over what is supposed to be stock, I dont remember what that was at the moment. If the spring is worn, you'll see empties fly into low earth orbit and start hammering the metal parts of your gun together. It can be bad news. I would say to put a new one in, that should help out quite a bit.

go here for springs

http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html
http://www.makarov.com

sterno

Well, I don't think it's "super easy" to rack...It actually takes abit of force. I just looked at Makarov.com and I think it's a #19 you put in, they say that #17 is stock.

Would the spent brass show any marks if the recoil spring was too weak?

Last edited:

donkee

I doubt that you'll see anything on the brass that would indicate a worn recoil spring. I would say just for the heck of it, get a new spring and see if it helps out, it surely won't hurt. Some recommend going to a much heavier spring (20lb+), I like the one I have. A much heavier one would keep the brass from landing in the next county, but may not cycle the slide depending on what ammo you are using. Too heavy of a spring and you'll run into FTFs and FTEs. I usually shoot Brown Bear for IDPA when I use my Mak and while picking up brass for others, I usually find less than half of mine and pitch them in the trash (berdan primed) so I only shoot my handloads for hunting or on a range I will be sure to find them at. Maks are notorious for losing their brass anyway so you might be able to bring back more, but I doubt you'll get every one of them back......

Teakwood

The standard issue recoil spring for the Makarov is about 17#.

FWIW, I have used 19# and 21# recoil spings in my Maks, shooting 95 gr ammo. The Makarov will throw the casings into low Earth orbit with the 17# and only a little lower with the 19#. The noticable change comes with the 21# which throws the casings about 6-10 feet.

If you are using ammo with bullets over 100gr, the 19# is a good move and will reduce the some of the shock. If you are using 115/120 gr, then I strongly recommend the 21#.

gfen

Wanted to weigh in and confirm Teakwood's statement, the Mak wants nothing to do with its refuse and throws 'em far away much to the chagrin of the guy several stalls down. ;)

Webleymkv

O.K., so today I was at the range and I was shooting my Mak. Shoots great. This is the first trip to the range since I've bought dies to reload the 9x18, so it is also the first time I paid attention to where my brass was going.

Why bother to reload 9x18? It goes for about six bucks a box around here so it wouldn't seem worth the time.

grimjaw

sterno, +1 on what Teakwood says. I have 21# springs in all my Makarovs, and it only lessens the distance that brass is thrown. It's still 10-15 feet. I always make sure I'm at the end of the lane or that I warn potential bystanders if I'm going to be shooting the 9x18 Makarovs. I have noticed that the .380 Mak I have doesn't fling quite as far. I have at least eight magazines, and those don't make any difference.

jmm

sterno

I talked to the guys at Makarov.com and they pretty much confirmed what y'all said. I checked my recoil spring and it's fine. They said that if you remove your recoil spring and roll it on a flat surface it shouid roll smooth. Mine does.

I guess it's something I'm going to live with. That's fine. I think I'm going to get a stronger spring to reduce recoil...how well does that work?

And as far as reloading the 9x18, I'm new to reloading and it's the only handgun I have dies for. I'm just using it to learn.

Eric Larsen

If you replace the worn OEM spring with a 19# Wolff spring you erratic ejection probs will go away and recoil will be LESS by a long ways..........
Its a cheap and easy thing to do.............Shoot well.